Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Misdaventures of Oliver Booth by David Desmond


Publisher: Greenleaf Book Group
ISBN: 1929774567
Pages: 224 pgs
Genre: Humor
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 





Synopsis from the Publisher
Oliver Booth wants nothing more than to join the ranks of Palm Beach's high society. But with his arrogant personality, garish wardrobe, and incompetent stewardship of an antique shop filled with gaudy reproductions, he doesn't have a chance. Oliver's luck takes a turnabout when the society doyenne Margaret Van Buren sends him and his assistant, Bernard, to Paris on a shopping spree to furnish her new estate. What ensues is a series of hilarious, Voltaire-esque misadventures as Oliver bumbles his way through the milieu of the elite. A satirical look at the lengths some people will go to in order to enter the insular circle of the privileged, David's Desmond's novel is a witty glimpse into a world few of us know.

My Review:

To tell you the truth when I first picked up this book I was sure I was not going to like it. I found myself pleasantly surprised. “The Misadventures of Oliver Booth” presents a witty and sarcastic portrait of a desperate social climber.

Oliver Booth seems to be an amalgam of all the pesky, ambitious and abrasive social climbers and hangers on that Desmond surely has come into contact with. Oliver is obese, foul smelling, and petulant. He is not a character most people want to find themselves seated across from at dinner. He runs an antique shop filled with overpriced Mexican reproductions of Louis XIV. He hoodwinks a poor, sensible French waiter named Bernard into working at his antique shop. He demands first class treatment and throws a fit worthy of a petulant four year old girl in a toy shop. He is also one of the most engaging characters I have ever come across. I could not put this book down once I started reading. I was waiting to see what kind of situation Oliver got himself into next. He is not a character you will like. If you meet a person like Oliver, your faith in the general goodness of humanity will be greatly diminished.

Desmond’s writing style is also one of this book. He is witty and sarcastic. His writing will draw you into this zany and wacky tale. You will get to the end of the book and not know how you got there. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a good laugh.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio