Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, February 27, 2009

Rethinking 2005 Pride and Prejudice

I know I have harped and harangued the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice since it came out. I think I may have had a conversion today. I needed a distraction today and the DVD was there and so was I. It was fate. I really loved it. Not as much as I love the 1995 version. Nothing can replace that version but the 2005 movie comes close. This time around I found Keira Knightley charming and effective as Elizabeth whereas the first time around I found her obnoxious. Perhaps I watched it too soon after watching Pirates of the Caribbean. I also loved Matthew MacFadyen as Mr. Darcy. He was more sensitive in his portrayal than Colin Firth but I think he did a great job of it. I also thought Rosamund Pike was the perfect Jane. She was so pretty and soft-spoken. Exactly as I pictured Jane in my mind when I read the novel.

The only aspect of this film that remained firmly in the dislike category was the ending. Why add the horrific scene at the end? It was unnecessary and seemed like an afterthought. Almost like the producers were thinking "Those poor Americans won't catch on that Lizzy and Darcy are happily married. Might as well add a scene at the end to clarify." If a clarification was needed wouldn't a wedding scene have been more appropriate?

1 comment:

  1. Aah, my good deed for the month! So happy to have been of service, Grace. :) Thanks for mentioning my novel and I truly am pleased that you gave the movie another chance. Sharon

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio