Search Me!


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Four Corners of the Sky by Michael Malone

The Four Corners of the Sky: A NovelPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Pages: 560 pgs
Genre: Mystery
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge, 20 in 2009

Summary from Publisher

For the first time since Handling Sin, a riveting novel of love, secrets, and the mysterious bonds of family, from master author Michael Malone.

On her seventh birthday, Annie's conartist father left her behind at his boyhood home, then he raced out of her life. Years later, Annie, now a top Navy jet pilot, returns home on her 26th birthday. But everything changes when Jack calls to say he is dying, and needs her to fly to St. Louis to bring him the airplane he gave her the day he left. And if she does, he will give her the one thing she always wanted, that he always lied to her about the name of her mother.

The Four Corners of the Sky is a novel of love, sacrifice, and the inexplicable bonds that hold families together. Michael Malone brings these rich characters to life as only he can, evoking the unspoken motivations that drive people to define who they are and break out of those bonds when the call of love comes.

My Review:

I found The Four Corners of the Sky to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. Malone’s writing is excellent. If there is one draw to this book, it is Malone’s superb writing talent and it really kept me engaged in the novel. I was engaged in The Four Corners of the Sky from the moment I picked it up.

The characters in the novel were also excellent. I was so excited to read a novel about a female Navy pilot. The feminist from my Women and Gender Studies days did a happy jig. Annie was a wonderful character. It was easy to empathize with her. I also loved Sam and Clark. They were such great characters. I do have to say that my favorite character was Jack, Annie’s absentee, con-artist father. He could have been extremely easy to dislike but I found myself sympathizing with him just as much as Annie. It was obvious that he abandoned Annie for her safety. She would have a much better life with Sam and Clark and he loved her enough to leave her. At least that’s the way I saw it or chose to see it. He also could have left her to make his life as a con-artist easier but I choose to think the best of Jack.

This is one of the books I will come back to again. The story is so simple yet complex. At the base it is about a woman who wants to know her roots and where she comes from despite her absentee father and mystery mother. Malone also manages to weave a mystery and a romance into the plot seamlessly. I also love how the ending does not tie all the bits and pieces of the plot into a neat little box with a pink bow. It is a great read and I am recommending it to just about everyone I know.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog. mysig


  1. [...] Higginbotham 11.Palace Circle-Rebecca Dean 12.Sundays at Tiffany’s-James Patterson 13. The Four Corners of the Sky-Michael Malone Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Mansfield Park-Jane AustenTo Read [...]

  2. [...] Wife-Susan Higginbotham 11.Palace Circle-Rebecca Dean 12.Sundays at Tiffany’s-James Patterson 13. The Four Corners of the Sky-Michael Malone 14.The Talisman Ring-Georgette Heyer 15. Why Shoot A Butler?-Georgette Heyer 16.A [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio