Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Musing Monday (June 1)

This weekly event is hosted by Just One More Page.
Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about sticking with it…
How much time (or how many pages) do you give a book that you aren't really enjoying before you'll set it aside? If you're reading it for a book group discussion, or for review, will you give it more of a chance then, say, a book you're reading for your own interest? Why, or why not? (courtesy of MizB)

I usually can find one or two redeeming qualities about a book that will allow me to finish it without having my brains leak out of my ears. One of my favorite methods is imagining my favorite actor as the lead male character in the novel. When that fails, I usually give it till the middle of the book. If by the middle, the book has not engaged my interest even a little, I put it away.
If the book is for a book discussion or review, I definitely give it more of a chance and I will make an effort to finish it. I feel, that especially if it is for review, there is some sort of responsibility there. If it is really that bad that I cannot make myself finish it no matter how hard I try, and I have had one of these yet, I will review it to the best of my ability with a notice that I was unable to finish it and perhaps it would be a better read for someone else.
On more positive news, the Sims 3 comes out this week. I can’t wait.

7 comments:

  1. thebluestockingguideMay 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM

    I tend to finish everything, even if I take time off from the book. mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that even a bad book would merit a couple or two good passages. I try to finish a book, skim through it and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put the book away after perhaps 80-100 pages if I don't like it. If it were a book I had received for a review I would have finished it, because I would have felt an obligation to do so.

    Here my Monday post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 100 page rule, unless it is for book club or review then I try my hardest to finish. Have a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also limit myself to 5 chapters.. then I pick up another book and come back to finish another 5.. until I eventually finish, even if it'll take a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to finish everything no matter what. Now if its mediocre, I'll skim it and finish. If it's really bad, will give up on it. Just don't have a set standard for when that is. My post is up now
    here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 50 page rule, but at times will give it a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio