Search Me!


Sunday, May 17, 2009

Musing Monday (May18th)

This weekly event is hosted by Just One More Page.
Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about early reading…
Do you remember how you developed a love for reading? Was it from a particular person, or person(s)? Do you remember any books that you read, or were read to  you, as a young child? (question courtesy of Diane)
I developed a love for reading very early in life. When I was a kid, maybe 2 or 3, my mother, my sister and I would hang out on my mother’s bed and wait for my father to come home from work. That time was usually spent reading. My mother would usually be reading her romance novels, my sister doing a puzzle of some sort, and I would be reading whatever book series I was obsessed with at that time. Usually the Babysitter’s Club or Sweet Valley High. On other rare days, I would read an X-Men comic because I had an obsession with Wolverine. Still do but for different reasons. I credit my mother with my love for reading and for books. Without those afternoons, I don’t know if my love for reading would have ever developed to the level that it did. It is associated with comfort in my mind mainly because of all that time I got to spend with my mother when I was younger.


  1. Ah, Babysitter's and Sweet Valley. The epitome of YA books in the 90s. :-)

  2. that's the angle i'm working with my kids...

  3. lovely memories. and books are all about a happy place, a place of escape and comfort and security...

  4. I still have so many of my Babysitter's Club books. Those and the Boxcar Children were some of my favorites!

  5. Wonderful memories. I hope my daughter remembers sitting on the bed with me reading Babysitter Club or Sweet Valley Twins.

  6. Mae:

    I wonder what it would be like to go back and read those series now. I wish I still had the books.


    It really does create a love of reading. I will always have my mother to thank for that.

    Jessica Slone:

    I have never heard of Boxcar Children. I should look them up. Babysitter's Club were my favorites as a kid.


    I think that is what I have always loved so much about reading. Although it is much harder to find the time to read these days.


    She will. Some of my clearest memories of my childhood are of my mother, my sister and I reading before my father came home from work.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio