Search Me!


Thursday, June 18, 2009

Booking Through Thursday (June 18th)

Here is the question for this week:

One of my favorite sci-fi authors (Sharon Lee) has declared June 23rd Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers Day.

As she puts it:
So! In my Official Capacity as a writer of science fiction and fantasy, I hereby proclaim June 23 Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Day! A day of celebration and wonder! A day for all of us readers of science fiction and fantasy to reach out and say thank you to our favorite writers. A day, perhaps, to blog about our favorite sf/f writers. A day to reflect upon how written science fiction and fantasy has changed your life.

So … what might you do on the 23rd to celebrate? Do you even read fantasy/sci-fi? Why? Why not?

My Response

I am a very picky sci-fi and fantasy reader. I don’t think I will celebrate. I’m not a big celebrator. I haven’t even had a birthday party since I was 6 and they had to bribe me to participate with one of those cakes with the ice cream cones on it.

My favorite types of sci-fi and fantasy…hmmm…harder than I thought to answer that. I like dystopian novels. Are they sci fi or fantasy? Either way I love them. They scare me but I love them. My favorites are the obligatory 1984, Brave New World, Anthem, The Handmaid’s Tale and Fahrenheit 451. I also love The Unit which I just reviewed.

Vampires are also some of my favorites. I love the Twilight series even though I have to be in a specific mood to read them. I am debating whether or not to buy the Sookie Stackhouse books. I love the True Blood series and am not sure about the books. Any opinions?

Most people who know me know that I love love love the Harry Potter series. But I am not into magic much as a fantasy fan.


  1. I liked HP too! I'm having a forum discussion on that day.Here is mine

  2. You might try Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. fantasy, with some philosophy thrown in. He does as good a job of world-building as Rowling.

  3. Melanie: I have had those books in my hand to buy so many times. I have heard so many good things about them.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio