Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, July 17, 2009

The Divorce Party by Laura Dave

The Divorce Party: A Novel
Publisher: Penguin
ISBN: 014311560X
Pages: 272 pgs
Genre: Chick Lit
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 



Publisher’s Description:

Laura Dave is widely recognized as an up-and-coming talent in women’s fiction. Now, with her characteristic wit and warmth, she captures a much-discussed cultural phenomenon that has never been profiled in fiction before—divorce celebrations. Set in Hamptons high society, The Divorce Party features two women—one newly engaged and one at the end of her marriage—trying to answer the same question: when should you fight to save a relationship, and when should you let go?
An insightful and funny multi-generational story, this deeply moving novel is sure to touch anyone whose heart has weathered an unexpected storm.


My Review:

First of all, I must say that the cover is beautiful. If I look at it too long, I get a craving for red velvet cake. The cover is very attractive and I would  be immediately attracted to it in a book store.

I think the concept of a divorce party is an extremely interesting one. You celebrate the beginning of a marriage so shouldn’t you celebrate the end? I had never heard of these parties before I picked up this book and to tell you the truth they seemed kind of morbid to me in the beginning but they make sense to me now.

The fact that this book follows two separate couples as they learn about each other and end a relationship is a huge draw. Maggie and Nate, the couple who are getting to know each other, are by far my favorite. Maggie is charming and engaging. You could tell she was off kilter in the crazy Huntington world but was willing to deal with it for Nate. Nate was a bit weak for my tastes. He just sinks into himself anytime something goes wrong.  How could he not tell his fiancé about his past?  It does not seem as if he trusts Maggie as much as you would expect a man to trust his fiancé. I also would not have been so forgiving of him but it showed her loyalty to him. I wasn’t as involved in Gwyn and Thomas’ story but it was so sad to witness the end of a marriage but I did feel that Gwyn would be better off without Thomas. He was a bit of a weak link. I think maybe Nate inherited a little bit too much from his father. Eve was also a really great character. She was interesting and sympathetic even though a woman in her situation should not be someone you sympathize with.

Overall, this is the perfect summer read. It is quick, interesting and vibrant.  I read The Divorce Party in about two hours. The only flaw that I could think of was the point of view change. Every time I found myself getting interested in the story of one character, it shifted to another. It didn’t detract from the story much but I have always had trouble with books in this format. I am also very excited for the movie based on this book (by Echo Films—Jennifer Aniston’s production company). My watching the movie depends very strongly on the casting of Nate. As long as it is not someone stupid, I will be there. I would hope it would be someone like Bradley Cooper.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

2 comments:

  1. Grace,
    I recently read The Divorce Party as well and absolutely loved it. I loved the two different story lines and how they reflected two relationships at very different points. I agree with you that Maggie was a fantastic character, but didn't think of Nate as weak, just worried about the past catching up with him and how that would affect his relationship with Maggie. Thanks for the info about the possibility of a movie being made -- I think that is fantastic news. Bradley Cooper would be great -- but how about Michael Vardian from Alias? I think he would make a great Nate as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He would be great as Nate as well. I think my watching the movie solely depends on the casting of Nate. If it's a bad casting job, I won't watch.

    I just think if he was worried about his past catching up to him, wouldn't he have informed her about it before it became a problem? I think he was just compartmentalizing and kept Maggie in a safe area where she couldn't be corrupted by his crazy family. I think he was also protecting her in his own way. I didn't quite know what to think of Nate when I was reading and I still waver in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio