Search Me!


Sunday, July 12, 2009

Musing Monday (July 13th)

This weekly event is hosted by Just One More Page
We all know the old adage about not judging a book by it’s cover, but just how much sway does a book cover have when it comes to your choice of book – whether buying or borrowing? Are there any books you’ve bought based on the cover alone?

To be honest, not much. I will glance at the cover but it has little say in if I will buy the book or not. I will read the back first and that is what really leads me to buy a book or not. I am not the type of person who is attracted to images. It’s the words that attract me. My mother has looked at me like I was crazy because I was buying a book with a horrible cover but, to me, at least the story seemed good and that is, after all, what we are looking for in reading material anyway. Now if it was an art book that would be a different story. The art is the substance of the book so I would think the cover would be one of the main attracting factors.


  1. I think the covers get my attention (if I'm aimlessly browsing), but the back copy of the first couple of pages that I'll read in the store/library are what seal the deal. I agree, covers alone do not a good book make.

  2. I am the complete opposite. The cover attracts me at first and then I read the summary (unless the book has been recommended to me, then I don't even consider the cover).

  3. I guest it's because I am a much more verbal than visual. I also like to open a random page and see if the writing style would appeal to me. I think I may be a little strange on this one.

  4. I agree the words will make me decide if I actually buy the book...but it is the cover that usually gets me to pick it up to read those words.

  5. Now thinking about it, I agree. I was at Barnes and Noble today while I was hungry and I must have bought 3 or 4 books with food on the cover. I guess the cover really does influence you.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio