Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Netherfield Park Revisited by Rebecca Ann Collins

Netherfield Park Revisited: The acclaimed Pride and Prejudice sequel series (The Pemberley Chronicles)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402211554
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 



Publisher’s Description:

The third book in the bestselling Pride and Prejudice sequel series from Australia.

"A very readable and believable tale for readers who like their romance with a historical flavor."
Book News


Love, betrayal, and changing times for the Darcys and the Bingleys

Three generations of the Darcy and the Bingley families evolve against a backdrop of the political ideals and social reforms of the mid-Victorian era.

Jonathan Bingley, the handsome, distinguished son of Charles and Jane Bingley, takes center stage, returning to Hertfordshire as master of Netherfield Park. A deeply passionate and committed man, Jonathan is immersed in the joys and heartbreaks of his friends and family and his own challenging marriage. At the same time, he is swept up in the changes of the world around him.

Netherfield Park Revisited combines captivating details of life in mid-Victorian England with the ongoing saga of Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice characters.

My Review:

I have to say that this one is my favorite of the three books in this series that I have read so far. It is the first book that focused on one couple, Jonathan Bingley and Anna Faulkner, and their story. I really appreciated that because I quite enjoy books that have a very singular character focus.

I loved the story of Jonathan and Anna’s friendship and later courtship. They were both intriguing and interesting characters and I loved them as a couple. They were perfect together. I liked both Anna and Jonathan. Anna was the type of character that you just like and you can’t exactly say why. She reminded me of  Anne Elliot. Jonathan was not my normal type of hero. He was more friendly and open than I normally am attracted to but he was so sweet and beat up by his obnoxious wife that I could not help but want to cuddle him. I could not wait for Collins to find some way to do away with Amelia Jane, Jonathan’s first wife. I could not stand her and I was hoping she would not be redeemed because she was just that much of a horrific and selfish character. It takes quite some talent to create a character that I want to strangle with my purse strap as much I want to strangle Amelia Jane. I think that alone is enough to recommend this novel.  I was also happy to see Caroline Bingley back to being a pain in the butt. She has been noticeably absent in the previous novels and I missed her antics. I felt sort of lost and bereft without them. Caroline is one of my favorite characters because she can really make a novel compelling.

This novel really represented a shift in the series to me. The individual characters are given their own spotlight and I find that really refreshing. I enjoyed reading about the generations of Pemberley relationships but I found that each couple was not given enough time to get to know them. In Netherfield Park Revisited this was completely changed and I really got to know and love Jonathan and Anna.

I can’t wait to go on with this series. I will continue to follow it as long as Rebecca Ann Collins writes them. I, however, would not recommend that new readers to this series start with this book. The cast of characters is large and the story very complex. Start from Book One and progress from there. You will not be disappointed.
*This book was bought by me by me. I am not making any profit from my review of this book other than my enjoyment.
mysig

4 comments:

  1. These books look great! I'll have to put them on my TBR list, thanks for you review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather: Thanks for commenting! These books are great. I am just about finished with the fourth book. The review for that one should be up sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Pemberley Chronicles Series-Rebecca Ann Collins (1,2,3,4,5,6) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Sin-Annie Solomon 42. Hugh and Bess-Susan Higginbotham 43. Mr Darcy, Vampyre-Amanda Grange 44. The Women of Pemberley-Rebecca Ann Collins 45. Netherfield Park Revisited-Rebecca Ann Collins 46. Now What? 90 Days to a [...]

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio