Search Me!


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Healing Luke by Beth Cornelison

Healing Luke
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402224346
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

Covered with burn scars, having lost an eye and a thumb in a nearly fatal accident, Luke Morgan's days as a ladies' man are over. But his bitterness, far more than his injuries, threatens to tear apart his family and their business.

Abby Stanford is a physical therapist on vacation in Florida. When she meets Luke, she understands everything he's going through. She finds herself powerfully attracted to him, damaged though he believes he is. Abby can look beyond his pain and anger to see the man he is inside, enabling Luke, too, to see himself as whole and desirable once again…

My Review:

Everyone knows I am a romance junkie. I love sitting on my comfy chair and reading a good romance novel. It is usually very hard for me to pick a favorite. Not so much anymore. Healing Luke has surpassed all of the others (aside from Pride and Prejudice). It has been a month since I finished this book and I still have not forgotten it which is unusual for me. Healing Luke was one of the most touching and sweet romances I have read in a long time and it is one I will return to.

I absolutely love books like this where one of the main characters is horribly injured or hurt and the other helps heal them. It is even better when the injured party becomes surly and discontented. The relationship between Abby and Luke transforms from this antagonistic tug of war to a warm friendship that eventually becomes more. The journey with both of the characters always becomes so much more engaging because it is not only about both of them finding love but healing together. I know that sounds kind of mushy and saccharine but I can’t help it.

The characters are perhaps the best part of this book. In most of the romances I have read, the characters seem to have one side. There are not many layers to them. Abby and Luke were the complete opposite of that. They were so complex and sympathetic. Abby was so intelligent and strong. You never have to wonder about her losing her strength and ability to think and act for herself. She is real in ways that other heroines are almost like caricatures of women (in the fan fiction world Mary Sues). Luke was someone who seems like he would be hard hard nut to crack and indeed he was tough for even me to like but eventually the layers of surliness fell away and the real man came through.

I would be hard pressed to find a romance novel, or any type of fiction novel, that I like as much. It was such a wonderful book and I can’t really express how much I loved it. It totally earned it’s rating and I am recommending it to everyone I know who reads romances.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. [...] on the review of Healing Luke.-with the comment add name and [...]

  2. Great review and I love the cover and book description!

    After reading your review makes me want to read this even more.

  3. This is a wonderful review! It makes me want to read the book and recommend it to my friends. I love scarred heroes and "Beauty and the Beast:" stories. Thank you! gcwhiskas at aol dot com

  4. Great review! I really want to read this book and your review just makes me want to read it even more.


  5. [...] Ann Collins 46. Now What? 90 Days to a New Life Direction-Laura Bergman Fortang 47.Healing Luke-Beth Cornelison 48. Darcy and Anne-Judith Brocklehurst 49. You Don’t Have to Learn the Hard [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio