Search Me!


Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

Mr. Darcy, VampyrePublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402236972
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

Sourcebooks Landmark, the leading publisher of Jane Austen-related fiction, is excited to announce a major release: Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by international bestselling author Amanda Grange.

Amanda Grange, bestselling author of Mr. Darcy's Diary, gives us something completely new—a delightfully thrilling, paranormal Pride and Prejudice sequel, full of danger, darkness and deep romantic love…

Amanda Grange's style and wit bring readers back to Jane Austen's timeless storytelling, but always from a very unique and unusual perspective, and now Grange is back with an exciting and completely new take on Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet.

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre starts where Pride and Prejudice ends and introduces a dark family curse so perfectly that the result is a delightfully thrilling, spine-chilling, breathtaking read. A dark, poignant and visionary continuation of Austen's beloved story, this tale is full of danger, darkness and immortal love.

My Review:

I am not normally a big fan of the vampire phenomenon. It just has never appealed to me. But I could not resist a vampire version of my Mr Darcy by my favorite Jane Austen sequel author. I love Amanda Grange’s Diary books (especially Colonel Brandon’s Diary) and could not resist this one.

I was not quite sure how this would work ,to tell you the truth. I was kind of scared that it would be Pride and Prejudice and Oh Yeah Some Vampires. I am not really a fan of that trend and I was pleased to find that this was not at all like that. How would Grange explain away Darcy’s rather human behavior in Pride and Prejudice and would it make sense? It turns out that in the process of explaining away all of this canon knowledge of Mr Darcy, Grange creates her own vampire mythology and weaves it seamlessly into the story of Darcy and Elizabeth’s early marriage.

The romance between Darcy and Elizabeth was also great. It wasn’t the typical smooshy and romantic as we normally want to see from Darcy and Elizabeth in the early days of their marriage but it was full of tension. Darcy is clearly conflicted about his feelings for Lizzy and how they should go forward with their relationship and Lizzy is frustrated and dismayed by Darcy’s lack of action. I really loved Lizzy in Mr Darcy, Vampyre. She was as witty and intelligent as she was in P&P and she was just as unwilling to let Darcy get away with anything. I loved this version of Lizzy and Darcy. The new characters were also a welcome addition to the story. They helped create the ambiance  and really worked well with both Lizzy and Darcy.

Overall, this was a really great sequel to Pride and Prejudice especially if you like something special, like a little vampirism, thrown in. So, if you love Pride and Prejudice and vampires, this is the book for you.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I'm actually reading this right now. I can't wait to see what happens next. Wonderful review.


  2. Glad to see a positive review! I've got this on my challenge list and plan to read it soon. Thanks for sharing!

  3. Nely: Thank you for commenting.

    Celia: I really liked it. Are other reviews not so positive? I have to catch up on my blog reading.

  4. Yeah, a positive review! I have this one on hold at the library and I'm getting so anxious since I've been reading negative review after negative maybe there is some hope I'll enjoy it after all!

  5. Heather: I liked it. It does take a bit of a stretch of the imagination. I would definitely prefer this to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I got about 30 pages into that then had to stop.

  6. [...] Ann Collins 41. One Deadly Sin-Annie Solomon 42. Hugh and Bess-Susan Higginbotham 43. Mr Darcy, Vampyre-Amanda Grange 44. The Women of Pemberley-Rebecca Ann Collins 45. Netherfield Park Revisited-Rebecca [...]

  7. When I first heard of the paranormal element being brought into Pride and Prejudice sequels I was a little uneasy about it. I haven't read this particular one as of yet, but I did recently read Vampire Darcy's Desire by Regina Jeffers which I actually got very invested in.

  8. I'm always wary of Pride and Prejudice sequels with a paranormal element. But I really liked this one. I do have Darcy's Desire on my bookshelf but haven't picked it up yet. I will have to soon.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio