Search Me!


Friday, August 21, 2009

Mr Darcy’s Daughter by Rebecca Ann Collins

Mr. Darcy's Daughter: The acclaimed Pride and Prejudice sequel series (The Pemberley Chronicles)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402212208
Pages: 336 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

"Jane Austen herself would have been very well pleased."
Beverley Wong, author of Pride & Prejudice Prudence

The bestselling Pemberley Chronicles series continues the saga of the Darcys and Bingleys from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and introduces imaginative new characters.

Charming, beautiful, and intelligent, Cassandra Darcy is undeniably her father's daughter. When her brother Julian falters in his responsibilities as heir to Pemberley, Darcy and Elizabeth turn in desperation to their daughter, and Cassy is thrust into the role of surrogate heir.

It will take all of Cassy's inner strength and ingenuity to raise Julian's son, attend to her own happy marriage and children, and keep Pemberley's tenants satisfied. When she is faced with a series of crises—her daughter appears to be involved in an unsuitable affair and her son is unwittingly drawn into a murder investigation—Cassy must act before circumstances spin out of control.

Set against a vivid backdrop of dramatic political and social changes sweeping England during the Victorian era, Mr. Darcy's Daughter is the remarkable story of a strong-minded woman in a man's world, struggling to balance the competing demands of love and duty as a daughter, wife, mother, and sister.

My Review:

Mr Darcy’s Daughter focuses on Cassandra. I have been looking forward to this book since I started the series. Cassandra was one of those characters that I wanted to know more about. Cassandra seemed the most Austenian of all the characters in the series.

I was disappointed that this book did not take us back to Cassandra and Richard’s courtship. I remember it from The Pemberley Chronicles but would have loved more detail. I did like the chemistry and high comfort level between Richard and Cassandra that only years of marriage can provide. I would have enjoyed reading more of their married life but this novel was dominated by other plots that touched Cassandra’s life.

The marital troubles between Cassandra’s brother,Julian, and his wife, Josie, seemed like a recycled plot from Netherfield Revisited with the wife going stir crazy and neglecting her husband and children in pursuit of a newer and better life.  I was not expecting this from Josie. She was one of my favorites and to see her deteriorate this much was surprising. I guess neglect plus ambition equal crazy. I was glad she was redeemed. I place all the blame for the failure of this marriage on Julian’s shoulders. Would it have been so difficult to show a little support for his wife?  Julian is such a weak character that I wonder how he could be the son of Mr Darcy.

The main romance in this novel was between Cassandra’s daughter, Lizzie, and Mr Carr, an Irish American friend of Lizzie’s brother Darcy. They were okay. They both were a bit bland to me.They did not have any of the chemistry that I would have expected from a central couple. They just couldn’t catch my interest as much as the previous couples have. I would have preferred to read more about Cassandra.

Overall, this was a good continuation of the series. Not my favorite but that has nothing to do with Collins’ writing because that has, throughout the series, remained superb. I would read her novels if she was writing about the grass growing.  I am really looking forward to continuing with My Cousin Caroline.

*This book was bought by me for me. I am not making any profit from my review of this book other than my enjoyment.


  1. I'm assuming these have to be read in order? (I didn't know that) I'm going to have to find a list of these and see. Good review and thanks for the info!

  2. Not necessarily. They can be read individually. Like with the 6th book. It occurs during the same time period as Book 1. I'm just insane and if I read one book in a series, I must read them all.

  3. Never heard of these. I'm only just dipping my toes into post-Austen writing. Will look into Collins, thanks! (followed you from book blogs)

  4. This one will link to my book blog in case you were curious! :)

  5. Mon-Post Austen writing has become my reason for living. Along with Phantom of the Opera sequels. I will definitely check out your book blog!

  6. [...] 50. The Ladies of Longbourn-Rebecca Ann Collins 51. Hungry Woman in Paris-Josefina Lopez 52. Mr Darcy’s Daughter-Rebecca Ann Collins 53. My Cousin Caroline-Rebecca Ann Collins 54. Hunter: A Novel-Campbell [...]

  7. [...] Pemberley Chronicles Series-Rebecca Ann Collins (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio