Search Me!


Monday, August 24, 2009

My Cousin Caroline by Rebecca Ann Collins

My Cousin Caroline: The acclaimed Pride and Prejudice sequel series The Pemberley Chronicles Book 6
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402224311
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

Sixth in the bestselling Jane Austen sequel series from Australia

In this installment of The Pemberley Chronicles series, Mr. Darcy's cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth's cousin Caroline Gardiner take center stage.

The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner, Caroline develops from a pretty young girl into a woman of intelligence and passion, embodying some of Austen's own values. Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth, Jane, Mr. and Mrs. Bennett, and the Wickhams all move through the story as Caroline falls in love, marries, and raises her children. Caroline rejects the role of a compliant Victorian wife and mother, instead becoming a spirited and outspoken advocate of reformist causes in spite of the danger of scandal.

Caroline's advocacy of reform, undaunted by criticism, demonstrates strength in a time when a woman's role was severely restricted.

My Review:

Out of all of the characters in this series and out of all the couples and courtships we have seen Caroline and Fitzwilliam were my favorite and I have been looking forward to reading their story since I started reading the series.  It has turned out to be my favorite out of the whole series so far.

My Cousin Caroline spans the timeline of all of the previous novels in the series but through Caroline’s eyes. Her point of view was so refreshing. Her perspective really brought these stories, that I have read before, to life. I also never thought that I would appreciate Colonel Fitzwilliam as a romantic hero but I did. I knew he was a nice guy based on Pride and Prejudice but I never thought he would be as interesting or as attractive a hero as Darcy. But as I am usually wrong and able to admit I am wrong, I will admit I am wrong here. He was a great hero.

The most shining moment in this book is the romance between Isabella, Caroline and Fitzwilliam’s daughter, and Phillip Bentley, a man with a semi-shady past. Their relationship gave me that squishy, kinda wanna cry feeling. His scenes at the end did make me cry. He is so heartbreakingly sweet. I was rooting for him and was so glad when he eventually got the girl. I hope Collins follows this couple later in the series.

As I said before, this was my absolute favorite in the series. I have loved this whole series but this book really resonated with me. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series and it is on my list of favorite Jane Austen sequels.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. Thank you Grace, I could not agree more! I have been a fan of this series for years and right from day one I had my eye on Caroline as a potential "heroine" ( for want of a better word ) of a novel by herself.
    But when the author added Colonel Fitzwilliam , a stroke of genius- the story just took off! They make such a gloriously believable couple- no high jinks, no vampires or vultures- just a great old fashioned romance of two wonderfully developed characters.
    I also agree with you about the love story of their daughter Isabella and Mr Bentley- I was weeping when they missed out and then- lo and behold- he was back- older, wiser and dishier and still in love with Isabella! Two lovely romances for the price of one! What more can you ask?
    But there is more- the characters, the historical background, the social themes are all woven through in this really terrific novel.
    I simply loved it.

  2. [...] on the reviews of her two books-The Pemberley Chronicles and My Cousin Caroline.-with the comment add name and [...]

  3. I like the idea of this one focusing on a couple of the non-major characters in the original novel. To me, this sounds like it would be better able to be developed without fear of offending lovers of the originial book. Your review seems to agree with this. Thanks!

    melacan at hotmail dot com

  4. I read The author's post about My Cousin Caroline and hoped the marriage of Isabella was as enjoyable a part of the book as it was made to sound and your review confirmed it! Thank you for writing a wonderful review that told me all I need to know to be sure I will enjoy this book yet not give anything pertinent away!


  5. I agree with both Amy and Grace about this lovely book- My Cousin Caroline. Next to Netherfield Park, it's my favorite in the series so far.
    I also loved Isabella's story- it seemed very sad at first. and then with a sudden twist of fate, it got much better. Many of Jane Austen's plots are like that too, and that is another reason why I like Miss Collin's books- they are very like Jane Austens in many ways.
    I almost forgot to mention that I liked the humor very much too.
    Thanks again for your blog- it's very interesting and useful as a guide to readers.

  6. [...] Collins 51. Hungry Woman in Paris-Josefina Lopez 52. Mr Darcy’s Daughter-Rebecca Ann Collins 53. My Cousin Caroline-Rebecca Ann Collins 54. Hunter: A Novel-Campbell Jefferys 55. Falling Into the Sun: A Novel-Charrie [...]

  7. [...] Pemberley Chronicles Series-Rebecca Ann Collins (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio