Search Me!


Thursday, August 13, 2009

You Don’t Have to Learn the Hard Way by J.R. Parrish

You Don't Have to Learn the Hard Way: Making It in the Real World: A Guide for Graduates
Publisher: BenBella Books
ISBN: 1933771747
Pages: 224 pgs
Genre: Self Help
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

Chock-full of practical advice for teen and college age readers on everything from how to nail that first big job interview, avoid dangerous relationship mistakes and master the art of managing your finances, to circumventing the typical pitfalls of adjusting to the adult world, this valuable guidebook synthesizes a life's worth of wisdom into one engaging volume. The author, a self-made multimillionaire who did learn the hard way offers to young people what he wishes someone would have given him when he was starting out--a no-nonsense blueprint for personal and professional success. Told with self-deprecating humor and grace, this book is never preachy and features irresistible self-discovery quizzes that guide young readers to deeper self-understanding.

My Review:

This book is written for people who have just graduated whether it be from college, high school, graduate school. It would probably not be very relevant for people who have been out of school for a while because they most likely have figured this all out already. If they haven’t…well…then they should read this book.

I am quickly approaching the point in life where this book will be extremely relevant to me. I will be graduating from graduate school this winter and will have to figure all of this stuff out. To tell you the truth, I would rather go back to school and stay there. This book may help me get a grip on what career path I want to go into, relationships,  finances, and interactions with other people. It would be great to be able to go back and skim when I need some guidance in the future. I felt that most of the advice was really well-grounded and logical.

I  enjoyed You Don’t Have to Learn the Hard Way. The personal stories were interesting and really complemented the advice. The exercises were really great and perhaps one of my favorite parts of the book. They can really point out things that you don’t know about yourself. Like I learned that I don’t fight fair, I’m great in a crisis and I’m a hoarder of money. I just wish that the sections on careers and finances had been a more significant part of the book. I don’t need advice on marriage and parenting right now and perhaps never but my mind is on career and finances. This would probably be completely different for someone else.

You Don’t Have to Learn the Hard Way would be a great present for a graduate. It could provide and great push in the right direction for any graduate. Whenever I need a little advice and my mother is busy, I will definitely pick this up.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. [...] Bergman Fortang 47.Healing Luke-Beth Cornelison 48. Darcy and Anne-Judith Brocklehurst 49. You Don’t Have to Learn the Hard Way-J.R. Parrish 50. The Ladies of Longbourn-Rebecca Ann Collins 51. Hungry Woman in Paris-Josefina [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio