Search Me!


Saturday, September 26, 2009

God Is an Englishman by R.F. Delderfield

God Is an EnglishmanPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402218214
Pages: 656 pgs
Genre: Historical Fiction/England
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

From master author R. F. Delderfield, the first in the beloved classic God Is an Englishman series.

The first novel in the epic God Is an Englishman series, this book is a stirring saga of England in the 19th century, as the Industrial Revolution takes hold, forever changing the landscape of England and her people.

Adam Swann, scion of an army family, returns home in 1858 after service with Her Majesty's army in the Crimea and India, determined to build his fortune in the dog-eat-dog world of Victorian commerce. Swann is soon captivated by Henrietta, the high-spirited daughter of a local mill owner. As Swann works to build his name, he and Henrietta share adventures, reversal, and fortune.

A beloved novel by a beloved author, God Is an Englishman is a treasure both for Delderfield fans and the growing legion of fans of historical fiction.

My Review:

Let me start this out by saying that Delderfield is now one of my favorite authors. These books are huge but kept me interested the whole time I was reading and usually when a book goes over 500 pages, it is pretty hard to keep me interested the whole way through.

I really enjoyed God Is an Englishman perhaps even more than To Serve Them All My Days. It was more of a romance and drama than To Serve Them All My Days. I also got quite a bit more attached to the character is this one. I really liked Adam. He was ambitious and a bit cutthroat. I liked that a lot. His wife Henrietta was also a great character but I am not quite sure how I feel about her. I think my opinion of her has been polluted by Adam’s perception of her as innocent and unintelligent. I was rooting for her throughout the book. I wanted her to step up and show Adam how strong and intelligent she was. I thought all hope for her was lost—especially after the incident with the chimney sweep—but when Adam was incapacitated, Henrietta took control of the business and I was so proud of how she handled herself. Her story is, perhaps, the most interesting and engrossing part of this book because of how much she grows and matures throughout the story.

Adam and Henrietta’s marriage was perhaps one of the most interesting that I have ever encountered in fiction. Adam underestimated Henrietta to the point that it was almost painful for me to read but yet they were a great couple and I really liked them. Adam married Henrietta when she was very young but seemed to expect a maturity out of her that she obviously was not experienced enough to have.  He had unrealistic expectations from the beginning but he seemed to resent her for it. It was frustrating for me and I wanted to smack him for it.

This was a really great book. If you are looking for a book about a complex relationship, pick this up because it is definitely worth the read.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. [...] 58. To Serve Them All My Days-R.F. Delderfield 59. Bending Toward the Sun-Leslie Gilbert Lurie 60. God Is an Englishman-R.F. Delderfield 61. A Match For Mary Bennet-Eucharista Ward, O.S.F. 62. The Other Mr. Darcy-Monica [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio