Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, September 14, 2009

The Holy Bullet by Luis Miguel Rocha

The Holy Bullet


 Publisher: Jove
ISBN: 0515148253
Pages: 608 pgs
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


Publisher's Description:
An international journalist, a war-weary Portuguese veteran, a Muslim with visions of the Virgin MAry, a rogue priest, and members of the world's most pwoerful--and secretive--organizations come together after the suspicous death of Pope John Paul I. A few operatives bold enough to penetrate the Vatican's shadowy inner circle will investigate what went wrong--and try to prevent the popular new pope from meeting the same fate.
In London, journalist Sarah Monteiro is again drawn into the web of international conspiracy, and must reunite--reluctantly--with the mysterious priest/assassin Rafael, and the sinister mastermind known only as JC. Sarah's and Rafael's commitment to truth and justice could prove to be extremely dangerous, for thema nd for John Paul II, especially if they discover the true power behind the papal throne.
My Review:
Everyone who knows me knows how much I hate The Da Vinci Code. This style of book just does not appeal to me and it, in fact, makes me cringe. I was hoping that I would find my own taste of this genre. I was moderately successful.

First of all, this was really well-written. The language is crisp and clear. There is no convoluted foppery in the prose which I really appreciate. The story is also good. It did keep me interested while I was reading. However, once I put the book down, the story quickly faded from my mind. I think that is a hazard with thrillers in a way. They suck you in so fast that you get caught up in the whirlwind but once it's over, it's over and it fades.

Keep in mind that this is a similar genre to The Da Vinci Code which means that much the elements of The Da Vinci Code are present in this book as well. It is a formulaic thriller about something shocking and religious. It has been done before but not done better. The Da Vinci Code, in my opinion, pales in comparison to this book but then again, I think The Da Vinci Code pales in comparison to most books.
The only real significant problem for me was the time jumping. Every chapter was in a different time and place and it became a bit hard to follow and keep track of the progression of events. It also took me a about 100 pages to really get into the story but once I got there it was great.

To any fan of The Da Vinci Code this will either be a hit or a miss. But to someone like me who thought The Da Vinci Code was terrible, this will be a welcome, refreshing thriller with more literary sensibility and better writting.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a Dan Brown fan either! I think Da Vinci Code severely turned me off historical thrillers, but maybe one day, the wounds will heal!

    (if you like this genre you might also want to check out Christopher Ride's The Last Boxer or Schumann Prophecy, it's very new historical thriller)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Into the Sun: A Novel-Charrie Hazard 56. Beg, Borrow, Steal: A Writer’s Life-Michael Greenberg 57.The Holy Bullet-Luis Miguel Rocha 58. To Serve Them All My Days-R.F. Delderfield 59. Bending Toward the Sun-Leslie [...]

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio