Search Me!


Monday, September 7, 2009

Hunter: A Novel by Campbell Jefferys


Genre: Contemporary Fiction


Publisher's Description:

Did the Australian government really bring known Nazi party members to Australia and protected them until their deaths? Having survived the horrors of the Eastern Front, Peter Fischer leaves post-war Germany behind and moves to Australia. 40 years later, Eric Messer is struggling to find his place at a new high school south of Perth. The two meet just before the Gulf War, sparking a strange friendship tainted by mistrust and half-truths, and complicated by a mysterious and overly friendly Austrian named Baum. Of Germany descent himself, Eric becomes fascinated by the men and the stories they tell. Are they possibly wanted Nazi war criminals?

My Review:

To be honest I wasn't expecting to like this book. As a matter of fact, I was kind of dreading it. I usually do not like WWII history in any form and I was expecting the same type of dislike with this one. Turns out, I was completely wrong (like fricken usual).

First of all, the writing was spectacular. The sentence structure is wonderful. I realize this probably means very little to anyone but me but it really does accentuate the beauty of the language. I often find that if the sentence structure is bad, the book becomes bad. Campbell Jefferys sentences just about sing. The writing is very descriptive and engaging and really helps the story come to life.

I normally don't like novels with two or more different time periods woven into the story. It usually ends up in a disjointed narrative but with Hunter, it worked well. The two timelines were so intricately woven that you really did not notice nor did you care that the time-frame shifted. Some might complain that the two time periods are not marked when the shift by a year marker or something similar but I find that this novel really didn't need it. The shifts were completely obvious while you are reading because they are in such different time periods.

This was a very simple novel with two very engaging characters. Not much goes on other than some very interesting conversations. If you were expecting a heavy handed war novel, it is best to look elsewhere. The action occurs in the beginning of the book with Peter's story during WWII but it is only a short period in the novel and his story quickly merges with Eric's, the young boy he hires to do work around the house.  Hunter really was not a a "war" novel. It is more of a coming of age with some elements of mystery. If you are looking for a full blown war novel, look elsewhere.

I really enjoyed Hunter. It exceeded my expectations and really kept me interested for the entire reading experience. The characters, writing and story were excellent.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. Sounds good, and I love your guest post too!

    You have an award to pick up on my blog. Thank you for mine!!


  2. Good review. I too generally don't much care for WW2-based novels. But this sounds quite different.

    I have never read anything by Campbell Jefferys before, and it sounds like he is a terrific writer.

    Btw, I love the new design and theme of your blog, everything looks so neat. And your header is awesome! Those are photos of your bookshelves, right? Great header image idea :)

  3. Sassy: Thanks so much for the award! It made my day so much more shiney.

    Nishita: Thanks! It really was a great book.

    I like the design as well. I am having one problem where the right sidebar moves down on review pages. Those are indeed my bookshelves about six months ago. I am going to take more of them once I clean a little.

  4. [...] Lopez 52. Mr Darcy’s Daughter-Rebecca Ann Collins 53. My Cousin Caroline-Rebecca Ann Collins 54. Hunter: A Novel-Campbell Jefferys 55. Falling Into the Sun: A Novel-Charrie Hazard 56. Beg, Borrow, Steal: A [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio