Search Me!


Monday, September 28, 2009

A Match For Mary Bennet by Eucharista Ward, O.S.F.

A Match for Mary Bennet: Can a serious young lady ever find her way to love?Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402220111
Pages: 368 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
A unique and inspirational Pride and Prejudice sequel that will resonate with all readers who can relate to Mary Bennet's determination to live according to God's wishes.

Written by a Franciscan nun, this is a sympathetic tale of the middle Bennet sister from Pride and Prejudice. Pious Mary Bennet tries to do her duty in the world as she thinks God envisions it.
Initially believing (mistakenly) that her sister Elizabeth married well only in order to provide for her sisters, Mary is happy to be relieved of the obligation to marry at all so that she can continue her faithful works.

But she begins to have second thoughts after further studying marriage through her sisters' experiences as well as spending time with two young men. One is a splendid young buck whose determined courtship must have ulterior motives; the other is a kindly, serious young clergyman whose friendship Mary values more and more. One day she realizes that God very much made man and woman to be together...but which is the man for her?

My Review:
Mary is one of my favorite characters from Pride and Prejudice. I always felt that she got the worst deal at the end of Pride and Prejudice. What logical person would want to spend the rest of her life with her aging parents? No sane person I know, that’s for sure. I was so happy to see her get a life of her own aside from being the spinster daughter.

Ward’s take on the characters were great. Mary became so much deeper of a character than she was in Pride and Prejudice. She had a sense of humor, emotions and talents. I found it particularly interesting because Ward really had nothing from Jane Austen to work with. Mary was a one dimensional character in Pride and Prejudice and Ward really gave her some depth. Stephen Oliver was also the best match for Mary. He was sweet and bookish. He he had none of the broodiness of Darcy but I don’t think Mary could handle any broodiness. They were so cute. The marriage between Elizabeth and Darcy was so sweet and you can really feel the love between them. Even though the book was about Mary, their marriage was a huge plus in this book.

I really enjoyed A Match For Mary Bennet for the most part. There was only one aspect that truly bothered me. Ward called Kitty “Catherine” throughout most of the book. I know that may be her given name but throughout Pride and Prejudice she is not called Catherine, she is called Kitty. We know her as Kitty, so, why change it? Perhaps it is what Mary thought of Kitty as but that would make more sense if it was first person point of view from Mary’s eyes. I’m not even that much of a purist but for some reason this did irk me a bit and kind of distract me a bit from the novel.

I really did enjoy this one. If you are looking for a good sequel that is not completely Lizzy and Darcy focused, pick this one up.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I know what you mean by calling Kitty Catherine even though that's her real name. We all know her as Kitty, why change that. I agree. It looks like a great book though! I'm going to add this to my wishlist! thanks for the info and great review!

  2. [...] 59. Bending Toward the Sun-Leslie Gilbert Lurie 60. God Is an Englishman-R.F. Delderfield 61. A Match For Mary Bennet-Eucharista Ward, O.S.F. 62. The Other Mr. Darcy-Monica Fairview 63. The Trials of the Honorable F. [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio