Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, October 2, 2009

The Other Mr. Darcy by Monica Fairview

The Other Mr. Darcy: Did you know Mr. Darcy had an American cousin?Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 140222513X
Pages: 368 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


Publisher’s Description:
Did you know that Mr. Darcy had an American cousin?!

In this highly original Pride and Prejudice sequel by British author Monica Fairview, Caroline Bingley is our heroine. Caroline is sincerely broken-hearted when Mr. Darcy marries Lizzy Bennet— that is, until she meets his charming and sympathetic American cousin…

Mr. Robert Darcy is as charming as Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy is proud, and he is stunned to find the beautiful Caroline weeping at his cousin's wedding. Such depth of love, he thinks, is rare and precious. For him, it's nearly love at first sight. But these British can be so haughty and off-putting. How can he let the young lady, who was understandably mortified to be discovered in such a vulnerable moment, know how much he feels for and sympathizes with her?

My Review:
I was kinda sorta wary of this book when I started. I can’t stand Caroline and I was unsure that anyone could create a male hero as appealing as the original Mr Darcy. I thought that Monica Fairview did a wonderful job creating a likeable Caroline and an attractive new Mr. Darcy.

I didn’t like Caroline at all in Pride and Prejudice. In fact, I wanted to step into the story to smack her and then step out. She was obnoxious and uppity but then again anyone who has read Pride and Prejudice knows that. It would take one heck of an effort from Fairview to get me to change my mind about her. Monica Fairview did an excellent job of transforming a character that was nearly impossible to feel any sort of kinship with to a character with kindness, humor and softness that was not there in Austen’s novel. I really appreciated seeing her in a new light. It will definitely change my perspective of Caroline when I pick up Pride and Prejudice again. What can I say about Robert Darcy? Um wow! I was expecting a snarky, broody carbon copy of the original Darcy but I was surprised. Robert Darcy was every bit as attractive as Fitzwilliam Darcy but less umm Darcy-like. He was the kinder gentler Darcy. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not The Darcy but he came very close.

I also really liked how Fairview used the characters from Pride and Prejudice. Lizzy and Darcy were so sweet together. It was quite difficult for me to see Lizzy so weak. I am used to her as strong and witty. I actually got quite angry at Darcy for being cruel to Caroline. I was surprised that I was that protective of Caroline but somewhat pleased that someone told her what her actual place in society was.

This was a really great Austen sequel. It took a character that most people dislike and made her human and likeable. It really gives you a new and much nicer perspective on Caroline Bingley.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

10 comments:

  1. This book is too blasphemous for me to read! Hahaha but really, I enjoyed your review. Here's an award for you:

    http://withextrapulp.com.au/?p=408

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the award!

    I didn't think the book was blasphemous at all. Then again, I am a big Jane Austen sequel reader and I love fan fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also recently read and reviewed this novel. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, and I also liked the departures in the characters. Thanks for your post. It seems that many of us who have read this novel really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very glad you enjoyed The Other Mr Darcy, Grace, and I really appreciated your review.

    I'm especially pleased that you liked the new Mr Darcy. And yes, Elizabeth and Darcy are very sweet together!

    Hello, Becky! Good to see you here, and thanks for your thumbs up.

    Hello, Elena. Hope you'll give the book a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] on the review of The Other Mr. Darcy.-with the comment add name and [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly didn't know that Mr Darcy had an American cousin. What an interesting read this would be!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a fan of Jane Austen...and ALL her sequels. I can't get enough. If Monica can convince me to change my feelings about Caroline, then she will get an A+++ and a gold star!

    Great review:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to leave my email address in the comment above- so sorry.

    libneas[at]aol[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] 60. God Is an Englishman-R.F. Delderfield 61. A Match For Mary Bennet-Eucharista Ward, O.S.F. 62. The Other Mr. Darcy-Monica Fairview 63. The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy-Sara Angelini 64. Playing House-Fredrica [...]

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio