Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, October 12, 2009

Playing House by Fredrica Wagman

Playing House: A Novel
Publisher: Zoland Books
ISBN: 1581952252
Pages: 176 pgs
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


Publisher's Description:
When Playing House appeared in 1973, Publishers Weekly hailed it, “A probing descent into madness that will fascinate the same audience that appreciated I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.” This nationally bestselling story of one woman’s struggle with the lasting effects of a childhood sexual relationship with her brother shocked American readers; it remains a literary work of enduring quality and value. In his foreword Philip Roth writes, “The traumatized child; the institutionalized wife; the haunting desire; the ghastly business of getting through the day – what is striking about Wagman’s treatment of these contemporary motifs is the voice of longing in which the heroine shamelessly confesses to the incestuous need that is at once her undoing and her only hope.”

My Review:

I loved Wagman’s other novel The Lie. It was one of my favorite novels that I picked up this summer. It was also one of the most challenging books I have ever read. I expected nothing less from Playing House.

I normally hate stream of consciousness. I have a hard time following and prefer my books to be in a more straight forward style. The only exception happens to be Fredrica Wagman. Her style just appeals to me. It is lyrical and poetic. There is almost a movement to her prose that I really can’t find anywhere else.

That is not to say that this book is for everyone. It disturbed me and I am not very disturbable. The subject matter is very mature and deals with incest and mental illness. There are also very graphic sex scenes and imagery. Some might be offended by the content because it is graphic. I don’t think I can say that enough. It is graphic and is not for the faint of heart.

I really admire Wagman’s bravery in choosing subject matter and using a style of writing that challenges her readers. Wagman’s books are not the books to pick up when you are looking for something fun to read but to have a unique reading experience. Playing House may not be a book that I will ever pick up again but I will definitely read more of Wagman’s books.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

1 comment:

  1. [...] 62. The Other Mr. Darcy-Monica Fairview 63. The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy-Sara Angelini 64. Playing House-Fredrica Wagman 65. Pendragon’s Banner-Helen Hollick 66. The Second Date: Love-Italian American [...]

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio