Search Me!


Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Wildest Heart by Rosemary Rogers

The Wildest Heart
 Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402222742
Pages: 736 pgs
Genre: Romance/Western
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

No man can tame her
Lady Rowena Dangerfield, wild, headstrong, and scandalously independent, travels from exotic India to the splendor of London to the savage New Mexico frontier hoping to meet her long-lost father and start a new life. She arrives to find herself in the middle of a long-standing feud.

Nothing will stop him from taking what he wants
Lucas Cord, a handsome half-Apache outlaw, is a rebel renegade feared throughout the territories. When he encounters the beautiful stranger, unlike any woman he's ever known before, he knows instantly that he'll have to win her for his own. Together they will experience a rampaging passion as wild and hot as the Southwestern winds.

My Review:

I am a sucker for a good romance. Always have been, always will be. This was my first Rosemary Rogers and needless to say, I loved it. She writes the type of romance that I love…historical, full of tension, with strong characters.

I loved all of the characters in The Wildest Heart despite the fact that I wanted to strangle them most of the time. Rowena was such a headstrong and intelligent woman. I don’t often find female characters like her in romance novels. I was pleasantly surprised. She was strong, intelligent, cold and calculated. All the things I admire in my female leads in romance novels. I didn’t really like Lucas throughout the novel to be honest. He struck me as stubborn and obnoxious and, to tell you the truth, I was kind of rooting for Mark until he turned out to be even more stubborn and obnoxious than Luke. About halfway through the book, Luke did grow on me but it took a while.

This was the perfect romance for me. I hate soppy romances where the heroine is all wilty and the hero is all perfect. The characters in The Wildest Heart had flaws and issues. They were not all about the romance. There was a really compelling story and characters behind it. The sex scenes were also not graphic at all which might please some readers. Sourcebooks edition of this book is lovely. There is nothing I dislike more than romance novels with shirtless heroes on the cover. I mean how can you read a book on the bus with a half naked cover on the bus and keep your dignity? This one is very simple with just Rowena with Lucas in the background.

Needless to say, once I finished The Wildest Heart, I went out and purchased most of Rosemary Rogers other books. Definitely recommended.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. Sounds like a good book. London to New Mexico is something new for me in Historical Romance. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

  2. I used to read a lot of Rosemary Rogers, but I have not stumbled on this one. Thanks for reviewing it.

    I have noticed that in all her novels, the heroines are wild and headstrong, and the heroes obnoxious and macho men.

    Sometimes, it can be a bit too much of repetition. But, I think I could get into this one; since it's been ages since I read anything by her.

  3. and I totally heart your comment about shirtless heroes on the cover.

    Very embarrassing to read those in public :)

  4. Mary: You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

    Nishita: I find that repetition is sometimes quite comforting when it comes to novels. It's like with V.C. Andrews. All of her books are exactly the same but I'll be darned if I don't buy every single one of them.

    I bought a handy cloth book cover just for that purpose. You can't imagine the looks I was getting.

  5. [...] The Second Date: Love-Italian American Style-Mary Lydon Simonsen 67. Angel Lane-Sheila Roberts 68. The Wildest Heart-Rosemary Rogers 69. I Sold Andy Warhol (too soon)-Richard Polsky 70. Willoughby’s Return-Jane [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio