Search Me!


Friday, November 6, 2009

Willoughby's Return by Jane Odiwe

Willoughby's Return: A tale of almost irresistible temptation
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 140222267X
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Sense and Sensibility
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

A lost love returns, rekindling forgotten passions…

In Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, when Marianne Dashwood marries Colonel Brandon, she puts her heartbreak over dashing scoundrel John Willoughby in the past.

Three years later, Willoughby's return throws Marianne into a tizzy of painful memories and exquisite feelings of uncertainty. Willoughby is as charming, as roguish, and as much in love with her as ever. And the timing couldn't be worse—with Colonel Brandon away and Willoughby determined to win her back, will Marianne find the strength to save her marriage, or will the temptation of a previous love be too powerful to resist?

My Review

I have been yearning for a Sense and Sensibility sequel. Colonel Brandon is my second favorite Austen hero (sometimes he even beats Darcy). Sometimes I get a bit tired of Darcy (just bought two more P&P sequels) and yearn for some Brandon, Wentworth, Tilney and Knightley (never Edmund Bertram).

Odiwe’s portrayal of all of the characters was perfect. Marianne was exactly as she was in S&S albeit a bit more mature. I also could understand why she was upset with Brandon. He completely neglected her to take care of his “other” family. I would have been upset too. Colonel Brandon was broody yet sweet—just as I imagine him. He did make a few mistakes throughout the book but redeemed himself. Marianne and Colonel Brandon’s marriage was a huge highlight for me. There was so much tension yet so much love.

I was so pleased to find that Margaret was a main character in Willoughby’s Return. She was sorely neglected by Jane Austen in S&S. She deserved a happy ending too. Henry was the perfect match for her and I enjoyed the twists and turns her story took. Willoughby was really not a huge portion of the book. Well, he is there but he is kind of like a storm cloud…you worry about what he will do but he passes through without any major problems.

I am going to sound like a huge nimrod say this but…I had no idea that Colonel Brandon had no first name. I always thought his first name was Christopher. Pollution from the 1995 movie, I guess. I think that it may make me a bad Jane Austen fan but I had no idea.

I think this may be put on my favorite Jane Austen sequels list. I wish there were more Sense and Sensibility sequels (psst…sequel authors, drop Darcy for a minute and write about Colonel Brandon and Marianne). Willoughby’s Return is definitely worth a read if you love Jane Austen sequels but are looking for something new.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. [...] November 7, 2009 by janeaustensequels I am having a lovely time on my blog tour. Thanks so much to everyone who has given me such a warm welcome. Follow the links for more guest posts and giveaways from The Bookworm and here is a review from Books Like Breathing [...]

  2. Well, I will admit I was hesitant about reading this book when I first saw it. But your review makes me want to read it. :D

  3. I was a bit nervous as well when I started reading. I was worried that Odiwe was going to break up Colonel Brandon and Marianne but it was so good.

  4. [...] been enjoying my blog tour – click here to read a review of Willoghby’s Return from Books Like [...]

  5. This sounds fantastic! I have to admit that I've never read a S&S sequel . . . as you mention, I've been all about Darcy. But I love any stories about first love and, of course, anything Austen! I'll look for this one :)

  6. [...] Roberts 68. The Wildest Heart-Rosemary Rogers 69. I Sold Andy Warhol (too soon)-Richard Polsky 70. Willoughby’s Return-Jane Odiwe 71. Impossible Motherhood: Testimony of an Abortion Addict-Irene Vilar 74. The Glass [...]



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio