Search Me!


Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Kathryne Kennedy Guest Blog

My Unfair LadyThank you so much for hosting me today, Grace. It’s truly a pleasure to be here and to have the opportunity to talk to you and your readers.

When I was asked to blog about my own choice of topic regarding my upcoming release, I couldn’t resist the idea of talking about two of the sweetest little inspirations for a character in my book.

In my upcoming Victorian romance book, My Unfair Lady, I have a little Chihuahua named Chi-chi that my heroine rescued from Arizona (she rescues all sorts of ‘critters’, as she calls them). My inspiration for Chi-chi came from my very own Chihuahuas. Tiny little dogs with enough personality to make you laugh at least once a day, they can also be very ferocious and territorial. Although my dogs have never attacked anyone’s boots as Chi-chi does in the book, they will often place themselves protectively between a stranger and me…er, and sometimes my husband. I have one that is longhaired, her name is Precious, and she’s very attached to me, and rarely allows anyone else to pet her. The short hair is named Baggins, and she loves anyone who will pet her, and the longer you keep it up, the more she’ll love you.

I admit, I’m goofy about my dogs. Is it any wonder they wound up in one of my books?

My heroine, Summer, has such a soft heart she can’t resist an animal in need, so she winds up with quite a menagerie. They brought a comic relief to the story that I hadn’t anticipated…and also a scene that was difficult to write. One of the baby foxes she rescued doesn’t make it and it stirs all of Summer’s fears of being abandoned by those she loves. That scene also made me fall very deeply for my hero, who, despite his masculine ego, comforts Summer over the loss of an animal that, during the time period, many considered vermin. His actions spoke more than his words, and I knew at that point that my heroine needed him as much as he needed her.

Chi-chi adopts the other baby fox and they live happily ever after, of course. But like my own two Chihuahuas, Chi-chi will often forget that she’s a dog and not a person. She will bite off more than she can chew (or drag, given the size of the bone), will forget her size and think she can scare anyone off with just her bark, and will not be able to fall asleep unless some part of her body is touching Summer’s.

And now that you know of my admiration for my Chihuahuas, I’d like to share one of my favorite moments. Both Precious and Baggins were on our large patio when a pigeon dared to enter their domain. Please keep in mind that this particular pigeon topped them by at least four inches. They both tore off after the bird, barking up a storm, little nails clattering on the cement. Unfortunately, the pigeon didn’t realize he was supposed to be frightened and fly away. He just stood there cocking his head at my dogs. When Precious and Baggins realized the bird wasn’t running away from them (and the look on their faces at that moment will be burned into my brain forever), they both put on the brakes, little legs trying to backpedal as fast as they could. I swear there are still skid marks on my patio. Then the pigeon finally got wise, and flew away. My dogs let loose some triumphant barks, stuck their noses and tails in the air, and proudly sauntered away. But it was touch-and-go for a moment there.

If you would like to see a few photos of my two ‘girls’, I’ve posted them on my blog here:

So, what kind of pet do you have, and what makes them special to you? Or do you have a favorite story you’d like to share about your pet? I’d love to hear about them!

With my very best wishes,
Kathryne Kennedy
My Unfair Lady by Kathryne Kennedy—in stores December 2009!
He created the perfect woman…
The impoverished Duke of Monchester despises the rich Americans who flock to London, seeking to buy their way into the ranks of the British peerage. So when railroad heiress Summer Wine Lee offers him a king’s ransom if he’ll teach her to become a proper lady, he’s prepared to rebuff her. But when he meets the petite beauty with the knife in her boot, it’s not her fortune he finds impossible to resist…

For the arms of another man

Frontier-bred Summer Wine Lee has no interest in winning over London society—it’s the New York bluebloods and her future mother-in-law she’s determined to impress. She knows the cost of smoothing her rough-and-tumble frontier edges will be high. But she never imagined it might cost her heart…
About the Author
Kathryne Kennedy is the author of the Relics of Merlin series, acclaimed for her world-building and best known for her historical paranormal romances. She has also written a fantasy romance and this Victorian historical romance. She has also published nearly a dozen short stories in the SFF/Romance genre, receiving Honorable Mention twice in the “Writers of the Future” contest. She has traveled a great deal and has lived in Guam, Okinawa, and several states in the U.S. She is a business owner and currently lives in Arizona with her husband and two sons. For more information, please visit


  1. Hi Grace! Thank you so much for having me as a guest on your blog today, and for the lovely, lovely review. It's very much appreciated.
    And I love your blog!

  2. I wish I could have a dog.. or a cat, but my husband won't let me!

  3. Hi Laska! You are now officially my most devoted reader. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting today. Big hug!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio