Search Me!


Monday, December 21, 2009

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy:The Last Man in the World by Abigail Reynolds

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 140222947X
Pages: 256 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

In this sexy Jane Austen sequel, Elizabeth Bennet accepts Mr. Darcy's first marriage proposal, answering the "What if...?" question fans everywhere have pondered

" I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry."

Famous last words indeed! Elizabeth Bennet's furious response to Mr. Darcy's marriage proposal has resonated for generations of readers. But what if she had never said it? Would she have learned to recognize Mr. Darcy's admirable qualities on her own? Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy follows Elizabeth and Darcy as they struggle to find their way through the maze of their prejudices after Elizabeth, against her better judgment, agrees to marry Darcy instead of refusing his proposal.

Two of the most beloved characters in English literature explore the meaning of true love in a tumultuous and passionate attempt to make a success of their marriage.

My Review:

I own all of Abigail Reynolds books but I have never picked up any of them. I was saving the best for last which tends to result in never reading the books you really want to read. I was really curious about how Abigail Reynolds was going to go about changing the Pride and Prejudice story we all know and love and if it would be believable.

The portrayal of Lizzy and Darcy was absolutely fabulous. Both characters were completely on point. Lizzy was charming yet a bit, shall I say cruel, to Darcy and Darcy was a bit of a dunderhead in just assuming that Lizzy would not say no to him because of his wealth and status. I think this book was so successful because it kept both Lizzy and Darcy completely in character with slight, yet very obvious changes in their circumstances.

The book was so convincing that, at times, I forgot that this book did not actually happen (not that Pride and Prejudice actually happened) . I totally forgot at points that Darcy did not compromise Lizzy during his proposal by not giving her a chance to say no to him and Lizzy being forced to marry Darcy as a result. It was so interesting to see what the marriage between Lizzy and Darcy would have been like if Lizzy had not gone through that period of discovery about Darcy.

I think we all often wonder “what would happen if…” in our lives and in our favorite books as well. The Last Man in the World shows the road not taken in Pride and Prejudice and I can’t wait to read Abigail Renolds’ other books and will read any further sequel she writes.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I read this one when it was first published. I loved it! All of Abigail Reynold's books are wonderful but this one and "Implse and Initiative" are my favorite! I can't wait to read this one and see the changes she made. I'm so glad you liked it!!

  2. I have the self-published version as well. I am very curious to see if it is at all different.

  3. Okay, I LOVE P&P sequels and remakes, so I think I'll have to add this one to my list. Thanks for the recommendation and review!

  4. [...] on the review of Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy:The Last Man in the World with the comment add name and [...]

  5. OOh, now I have to read this one! As a huge P&P fan I love to read a good equals!

  6. I love Pride and Prejudice but haven't read any of the modern sequels. Thanks to this review, I will definitely pick this one up.

    Books in the City (leenbeen2001 (at) yahoo (dot) com)

  7. Abigail Reynolds has a new variation coming out in October called Mr. Darcy's Obsession. I can't wait for it, it looks pretty good!

  8. This one is a must read in my book. Abigail Reynolds is amazing.

  9. I have that one in my review pile. The review should be out in late September or early October.

  10. I'll definitely keep an eye out for your review then.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio