Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Unfair Lady by Kathryne Kennedy


My Unfair Lady Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402229909
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Victorian
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


Publisher’s Description:
A wild west heiress, Summer Wine Lee knows that she's not an acceptable bride for her fiance's knickerbocker family. She grew up in an Arizona mining town, cares more for critters than people, carries a knife under her skirts, and, worst of all, she has a highly improper secret from her past. But she also has high hopes that a real English Duke can teach her how to be a lady…

Were it not for his father's gambling debts, the Duke of Monchester would never have stooped to civilize Summer. But the more time he spends with her, and the more social scrapes he has to rescue her from, the more he finds it impossible to change her into a proper lady. How could he, when he's falling in love with her just the way she is?

My Review:
I was so excited to read this book. Pygmalion is one of my favorite plays and I loved the Audrey Hepburn movie. I tend to disregard the latent misogyny in favor of the squishy romance. The idea of a man “taming” a woman should really disturb me but for some reason, it doesn’t and frankly, I am quite disappointed in myself.
I thought that both Summer (I refuse to call her Summer Wine) and Byron were great characters. In a book like this, they could become caricatures of themselves but Kennedy kept the characters real and relatable. The constant push and pull between them was really great. I love it when there is that constant conflict between the two main characters and as I mentioned before, I call this the Darcy Complex.

The only issue I had was Summer’s name. I mean Summer Wine…really? To me that seemed like naming your child Hops Barley. It did succeed in creating a dichotomy between the various lords and ladies of England and the transplanted Americans. I think despite the initial shock of the name, it really worked with the rest of the story. Byron was also an excellent hero despite his flaws and he was the perfect match for Summer.

I really enjoyed this book. It was an interesting take on Pygmalion and My Fair Lady. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an adaptation of  a non-Jane Austen book.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Vilar 74. The Glass Room-Simon Mawer 75. Postscript From Pemberley-Rebecca Ann Collins 76. My Unfair Lady-Kathryne Kennedy 77. The Last Man in the World-Abigail [...]

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio