Search Me!


Friday, December 11, 2009

Sony Reader Touch Edition-Meet Mr. Spock

Well, everyone, I finally got an e-reader. Never thought it would happen. I have been one of the most critical people around about e-books. It has been one of my secret desires to get an e-reader. I was considering a Kindle but don’t like that it is proprietary and I didn’t want to wait for the Nook.

I have owned the Reader for about a week and it is the best thing I have ever done. Don’t get me wrong, I still carry piles of paperbacks but I find myself reading the e-reader more. It shocked me too. Mr. Spock (I name things) and I have become quite good friends for the brief period we have known each other.

Touch Screen-I absolutely love the touch screen. It is sensitive but not so sensitive that every time you touch the screen it does something you don’t want it to do (like my demon spawn cell phone). I do wish that the page turn would be it bit more sensitive because you have to be really precise to get it to work. I just prefer to use the page turn button.

Reading-Usually I have the hardest time reading on a screen. Not with the Sony Reader. It feels like a book. I was reading Pride and Prejudice on the Reader and barely even noticed. The screen feels like paper when you are reading. I also love that I can use any format without having to go through any hassle.

Notes/Dictionary-I love the notes feature. It is so useful. I have never been one for margin notes. I am paranoid about writing in books but with Mr. Spock, I have been obsessively note taking. I think it is because it exports into your computer in a separate file. I might still be paranoid if it exported in the same file. I cannot figure out how to use the on-board dictionary (Oxford American or Oxford Dictionary of English). Any help with that would be great.

Expandable Memory-I love the expandable memory. I currently have a 16gb memory stick in the Reader and it is about 1/2 filled. It’s lovely being able to carry that many books with me. I tend to switch from book to book to book and now I do not feel at all stuck with whatever book I decided to read that morning.

Library/Free Books-Free books…what can be better than free books? I have never been one to borrow books from the library…Sounds strange coming from a future librarian but I don’t like giving books back once I have read them. With the Reader, I have been maxing out my Library Card with e-books. I also raided Project Gutenberg for classics. So if anyone tells you they can’t find free e-books, they are really, really wrong. I also bought the complete Sookie Stackhouse series from the Sony E-book Store which seems to have a really nice selection.

Overall, Mr. Spock is just about the best thing to have ever happened to me. Unless they invent a super reader that can actually transport you into the book, I will most definitely not be switching.

Grade: A
*The Sony Reader Touch Edition was provided for me by me and the review was not paid for by anyone but me.


  1. Welcome to the world of ebooks! I've had my ereader for almost 9 months and don't know I lived without it.

  2. Thanks! It is amazing. I have read more books in the last week than I have in the past month without the e-reader. I am officially converted.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio