Search Me!


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Breakfast in Bed by Robin Kaye

Breakfast in BedPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402218958
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description: 

Rich, the epitome of "anti-domestic," can't cook to save his life, and his idea of cleaning his apartment is to invite his mother over. But he's ready to settle down, and he can't stop thinking about the ex-girlfriend who got away. When he notices that his soon-to-be-married friends cooked and cleaned their way into their women's hearts, he asks his friend Becca to help transform him into a nurturing man to win back his ex.

Rich is the only guy who's taken the time to know Becca for herself. She decides she'll give him the makeover he's asking for, though she'll be damned if she's going to turn him into a domestic god for another woman. She wants Rich for herself, but how can she convince him that her kitchen and her bedroom are the only domestic locales he desires?

My Review:
I cannot tell you how much I loved this book. I was in the mood for a romance and this one was the perfect one to pick up.

Rich and Becca were such great characters. Rich was the typical mama’s boy that, as an Italian woman, I have gotten used to. I found it really interesting that he was trying to domesticate himself for a woman because all his friends had already been trained. It was sweet and something completely unexpected because I have grown up expecting the opposite. I also like the fact that he declares his feelings first. It puts all of the power in Becca’s hands and the feminist in me loves that. Becca was also a great character. She was fiesty and intelligent. I really identified and liked her. I sometimes have trouble reading modern romances because I try to hard to find some common ground with the heroine and often find myself stymied but I had no trouble identifying with Becca.

I also thought the premise of Breakfast in Bed was really ingenious and forward thinking. Usually it is the woman who must learn to cook and clean in order to be “marriageable” at least in my experience. I have often been told by certain dunderheaded aunts of mine that no man would marry me if I did not gain some domestic skills. I thought it was really interesting to see a man trying to learn how to cook and clean in order to be a good husband.

Perhaps my favorite part of this book was the tension between Rich and Becca. They had such a powerful connection and chemistry. I also love that they were constantly fighting and arguing. I tend to love romances where the couple hates each other initially. It’s the Darcy-Bennet complex and I can’t help it.

I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a smushy romance to start your new year off with.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. Grace~ I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! Thanks for the great review.

    All the best,

    Robin Kaye



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio