Search Me!


Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Crazy BeautifulPublisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
ISBN: 0547223072
Pages:208 pgs
Genre: Young Adult
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge, YA Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
In an explosion of his own making, Lucius blew his arms off. Now he has hooks. He chose hooks because they were cheaper. He chose hooks because he wouldn’t outgrow them so quickly. He chose hooks so that everyone would know he was different, so he would scare even himself. 

Then he meets Aurora. The hooks don’t scare her. They don’t keep her away. In fact, they don’t make any difference at all to her.

But to Lucius, they mean everything. They remind him of the beast he is inside. Perhaps Aurora is his Beauty, destined to set his soul free from its suffering. 

Or maybe she’s just a girl who needs love just like he does.
My Review:
I love Beauty and the Beast. I do. I think it is the most romantic story ever alongside Lizzy and Darcy and the Phantom and Christine. I was delighted to pick this book up.

Lucius was one of the most interesting characters that I have ever encountered in YA fiction. I almost wish the whole book would have been in his POV. I felt sort of a kinship with him even though we really have nothing in common. I also really admired how well Baratz-Logsted captured the male POV. I never felt that I was hearing a woman talking through a male character. The only issue is that I also did not quite see him as beastly. He may be a bit of an outcast because of his appearance and his past but he is sweet and gentlemanly in his pursuit of Aurora. Oddly enough, the character I could not connect with at all was Aurora. She was beautiful, intelligent and instantly popular. It took me a few chapters to really start to like her in any significant way.

The only flaws that I could nitpick about this book is I wish it had been longer. I think the resolution came a bit too quickly and, quite frankly, I want more of this book and more of these characters. Especially Lucius. Needless to say, I hope there is a sequel or continuation of this book because I really loved the story and the characters.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I've been curious about this book since I heard about it last fall - thank you for your review! I can't wait to read it.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio