Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hush, Hush-Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN: 1416989412
Pages: 391 pgs
Genre: Young Adult
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge, YA Challenge
Rating:



Publisher’s Description:

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

My Review:

I am going to try to avoid as many Twilight comparisons as much as I can because I think these two books are in two completely different classes. Not that Twilight isn’t good but Hush, Hush dwarfs it with it’s greatness. I can see where the comparisons come from but I don’t think it’s fair to judge one book with another (Twilight would lose—the fanfiction is better).

First of all, I loved Patch. He was dangerous and kinda creepy but that seems to be my type. He is everything that Edward Cullen should have been. He brought a real danger to Nora unlike Edward who says he thinks Bella might be a tasty treat but never actually threatens her life and really is quite the harmless vampire when it comes to Bella. Patch actually makes attempts to kill Nora. He courts her affection in order to gain her trust and eventually kill her. Nora was also a great character. I really liked her but this novel was all about Patch for me. I enjoyed watching her try to figure out the mystery behind Patch’s past.

Perhaps the best part of Hush, Hush is that the romance does not overwhelm the plot at all. The main focus was the unraveling of the mystery. It is not discovered right away that Patch is a fallen angel and him and Nora do not fall in love immediately. That would have completely taken me out of the book. The romance could have easily been the main focus of this book and I think it took quite a bit of courage for Fitzpatrick not to turn Hush, Hush into a romance novel.

Needless to say, I loved Hush, Hush. This might be for me what Twilight was to everyone else. I cannot wait for Crescendo to come out in the Fall.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

13 comments:

  1. This is on my bookshelf. Maybe I should consider bumping it up since you rave about it so much!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read so many glorious reviews on this book, I had to go out and buy it! Thanks for another thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. iheartmonster-I would definitely bump it up a few notches. I'm not usually a raver but it was that good.

    Catherine Ensley-You're very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been on my TBR list for a while. I even brought it home from my HS Media Center one weekend but brought it back unread. Now I am inspired to try again. (Visit via the Comment Challenge 2010)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And who doesn't love a good mystery with a side helping of romance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about not comparing one book to another, but it was helpful in this case. I did enjoy the Twilight books (from an entertainment point of view) but I was very disappointed with the quality of the writing/story.

    I just posted up the start of my reading list for the year, and this one is getting added! Also (and I know this is horrible) but I am guilty of judging books by their covers. As soon as I was the picture of the cover I wanted to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't chalk this one up as one of my favorite books of the year, but I have to say that I did enjoy it a LOT more than Twilight, and I'll definitely pick up the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy: I hope you do try it again. It really was a great read.

    Kim: I'm not sure but I am sure there must be a person so misguided somewhere out there.

    Kara: Twilight is having a resurgence with me at the moment. I kinda love the werewolves but still Meyer's writing leaves alot to be desired.

    Kristi: I'm going to pre-order the sequel the nanosecond I see it on Amazon. As much as I am starting to like Twilight now, I still love Hush, Hush so much better. The writing was better and it was so much darker. I think it can be partially accredited with my new found love of YA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say when Twilight came out (the book) i bought it straight away and i loved it. But, honestly, it's a read once book. (maybe twice) but, with hush-hush i have read it about thirty times and i still can't get enough of it. the author, fitzpatrick, is so talented and i was hooked. and i have to agree with kara. the cover definitely speaks to you.
    by the way, your reviews are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio