Search Me!


Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale

Lessons in French Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402237014
Pages: 480 pgs
Genre: Romancy/Regency
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher's Description:
Laura Kinsale's unique and powerfully written love stories transcend the romance genre. In this, her first new book in five years, she delivers a poignant, funny, sexy, Regency romance sure to delight her many fans and attract a whole new readership.

Trevelyan and Callie are childhood sweethearts with a taste for adventure, until the fateful day her father discovers them embracing in the carriage house and, in a furious frenzy, drives Trevelyan away in disgrace. Nine long, lonely years later, Trevelyan returns. Callie discovers that he can still make her blood race and fill her life with excitement, but he can't give her the one thing she wants more than anything—himself.

For Trevelyan, Callie is a spark of light in a world of darkness and deceit. Before he can bear to say his last goodbyes, he's determined to sweep her into one last, fateful adventure, just for the two of them.

My Review:
This was my first experience with Laura Kinsale. I have all of her other books but I have never read one of them. I have wanted to but, as always, I am bogged down with other books that I want to read and the cycle is continuous.

Lessons in French was such as sweet and quiet romance. I never thought that I would be describing a romance novel in that way but I am. There were no overly effusive displays of romantic love between Callie and Trev until more than halfway into the book. I was not quite sure how much I liked that until I was done reading. Usually you expect the romance novels you read to be full of romance and drama but it was nice to find one that was more subtle.

The characters were almost perfect. They were as quiet and subtle as the novel they are in. Callie was not a busty, beautiful heroine. She was insecure about her looks after being jilted three times.  I think every woman can relate to her insecurity at least a little.  Trev was not a Big Damn Hero nor was he a Reckless Rake. He was simply a man who got into some trouble but really and truly wanted the best for Callie and loved her despite his troubles. He had his secrets but it was nothing too destructive or major.  Callie and Trev’s love was quiet but they had great chemistry and their story was a pleasure to read.

I only had one issue with Lessons in French and it was a minor one. There was too much Hubert the bull.  It surprised me that Hubert was such a huge part of the story. Usually you would expect there to be something much more dramatic as the main event in a novel but as I began to think about it, it really fit the book as a whole and after a second read, it grew on me. It added humor to the book. I mean a bull in the kitchen is something you would find in an I Love Lucy episode. It added to the light-hearted rompy feel.

I cannot wait to read more Laura Kinsale. I am not sure this was the best introduction to Laura Kinsale’s other novels but it was definitely enough to keep me going.  Her writing is excellent and he heroes are wonderful. I usually pick up a romance novel expecting clichés and an easy reading afternoon but this was so much more.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. It sounds lovely. Your review makes me want to read it so I'm adding it to my wish list. Thanks : )

  2. I'm so glad. I hope you enjoy it!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio