Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Musing Monday (Feb 1)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a random book.
Go to your bookshelf and pick a random book. No cheating now, just reach out and pick one. Now tell us about it – where did you get it? Why? Was it a gift? Does it hold any special memories? Did someone recommend it to you? etc.
Little Women is perhaps one of the most special books to me. It was one of my first “big people” books (a much earlier edition). My mother bought it for me one day when she went to the book store to buy Christmas presents. I was about 8 years old and very upset that she had not bought me the toy that I wanted. Needless to say, the disappointment did not last. It introduced me to reading for fun. I wanted to be Jo. I think I may have had a crush on Professor Bhaer even then. It was the start of a lifelong obsession with reading and books. The only thing that may exceed my love of reading is my love of hockey and the Devils (they got there first). I quickly started spending all of my money on books and the collection began.

7 comments:

  1. Oh how happy I am to see this as your random pick - I love to hear about people's first introductions to Little Women, as it's my all-time favourite book.

    When I was little I wanted to be Beth... I grew into my Jo aspirations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hudson Through the Years. I grew up in NJ, and I loved driving across the Geo Washington Bridge so that I could look up and down the Hudson River, or better yet, drive across the Tappan Zee. When I was old enough to drive, my mother and I went and toured all the historical sites up to Hyde Park. I wanted to visit Washington Irving's home b/c I loved his Sleepy Hollow stories. I bought the book in a Tarrytown bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Little Women. I try to get my teenage daughter to read it but she won't. She doesn't care for that era. *sighs*

    Here's Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great one. I wish I still had my original copy of this book. It got lost or sold in a garage sale when my parents moved from MI to WA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rebeccavoy-It was always Jo for me. I was always a bit of a scamp as a child and Jo was just like me.

    Alayne- Thanks!

    Mary-I've always wanted to visit Washington Irving's home. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is one of my favorite books. I'm currently rereading it on my Sony Reader.

    Lori-Maybe she likes books that are a bit more modern. Maybe something like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? I was the complete opposite as a teen. If it was even close to this time period, I would not read it. Now I'll read anything.

    Nise'-My parents have tried to sell some of my books but I won't let them. I still have my copies of my Amelia Bedelia books.

    Caite-Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio