Search Me!


Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Christmas Carol: Special Edition by Stephen Skelton

A Christmas Carol Special Edition: The Charles Dickens Classic with Christian Insights and Discussion Questions for Groups and Families by Stephen Skelton
Publisher: Standard Publishing
ISBN: 0784723915
Pages: 128 pgs
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

 Publisher’s Description:

Celebrate the season with Scrooge, Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, Jacob Marley, and the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present, and Future—and discover how the greatest Christmas classic was based on the greastest story ever told.

This special edition includes the complete text of A Christmas Carol along with notes and discussion questions written from a Christian perspective.

My Review:

It is a personal tradition of mine to read A Christmas Carol at least once a year. Never at Christmas time though. I think that’s too much of a cliché and I am usually too busy avoiding familial interaction during the holidays.  But I do love A Christmas Carol. Scrooge is one of my favorite characters in fiction. He is cranky, he is angry, he is a curmudgeon and I love him. He makes me feel like less of a curmudgeon which makes me feel better about myself.

First of all, I love this edition because it is portable. My other edition is a huge unwieldy, very old volume that is not only heavy but feels like it is going to fall apart. I have had it since I was a child but it is getting kind of broke down in its old age.

The only problem is I am not religious. Yes, I was raised Catholic and still get dragged to a Mass once in a while but not so much that I can ever be considered a religious person. I believe in God but that is about it. Because of this many of the sidebar information did not really mean anything to me. I mean, there was some nice trivia that really interested me but the Bible references really did not appeal. I do read the Bible periodically for inspiration but when I am reading fiction, I do not want the paths to cross.

I think this would be an excellent book to read in a religious discussion group or perhaps in a classroom atmosphere. Maybe it was not the perfect version of the book for me but it would most definitely be perfect for others.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio