Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Musing Monday (Feb. 15)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a reference material.
Do you keep reference books on your shelves at home? What’s your first port of call when you need information – the internet or a book?
 It is sad to say that I don’t have any reference books other than a spare dictionary and thesaurus. I recently threw out all of my encyclopedias that still listed the Soviet Union as current and I really do not see the reason to buy another set when everything is online. Wow! I really never thought I would say that.
I depend, largely, on the reference sources I can access with my New York Public Library card on the nypl.org website. It pretty much covers all of my reference needs and, if by some chance, the online reference sources on the site don’t have my answer, I can always do a live chat with a librarian or go to the library myself. I do live down the street from one although I rarely visit. I never use wikipedia for anything other than the most insignificant of information. I just don’t trust it for anything important.

6 comments:

  1. i don't even have a dictionary anymore, so i can totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. encyclopedias...yes, I remember them.
    I have a few references books, but honestly, I can't remember the last time I used any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    My encyclopedia is so old it's extinct. LOL Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely give away a non-fiction book b/c I underline and dogear and write notes in the margin, and I do go back and look things up. However, I usually start with the internet. If I can't find what I want, I dig through my books. But the only time I use a dictionary is if I have shut the computer down. As for atlases, the world is changing all the time. For me, I want the info that minute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the internet, it is just too easy and space efficent. That said we do have a bunch of reference books around still, like how to manuals on home repair and cookbooks and such and my kids have nonfiction books on tons of subjects that we mostly read not use to look things up.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio