Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Musing Monday (March 1)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a story format.
How do you feel about books written in a differing format – whether this be journals or letters (epistolary), verse novels, or any other form? Is this something you enjoy? Or do you prefer straight forward chapter prose.
I am pretty ambivalent about format. I can pretty much deal with any type of format as long as it is close to prose. I love epistolary, stream of consciousness and journal type of books but I have always had trouble with verse. It has never registered with me and I tend to avoid it. I recently came across a YA novel that was in verse but passed it over because I simply cannot see myself reading a book in verse. Some of my favorites:

15 comments:

  1. Or 'your' favourites, rather! (though I did enjoy your choices)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a good idea including some of our favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I cannot read books in verse ;0)
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/mondays-musings.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just the average everyday reader. Chapter to chapter is my preference. Here's Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you and Lynda, verse is not my favorite...I do love short chapters and letters...
    What a great idea to mention our favorites--that's a future post in waiting!
    ~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, didn't link myself!!

    http://mywindowswideopen.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also like journal-type but haven't read one in a while.

    My full response is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    I can read either one. I read The Lie, good book. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. As long as the story is good, I don't really care what the format is. My response is here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I kept thinking of books I loved and just decided to add them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking of starting a meme like that. Just listing our favorites in different genres. Could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Lie was awesome. It was one of the most creative books I read last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The key is, I think, the skill of the writer. A great writer can tell a great story in many formats. But I tend toward the straight prose. I am not very daring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should try Jane Austen's Lady Susan, which is in the epistolary format. It's really good, and it's one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lady Susan is the only Austen that has languished on my shelves. I may have to pick it up one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio