Search Me!

Loading...

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Recollections of Rosings by Rebecca Ann Collins

Recollections of Rosings: The acclaimed Pride and Prejudice sequel series (The Pemberley Chronicles)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402224508
Pages: 336 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Sequel/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 






Publisher’s Description:
Sisters Catherine Harrison and Becky Tate, daughters of Charlotte Lucas and Mr. Collins, have very different personalities and temperaments. Both grew up in the shadow of Rosings Park, domain of the formidable Lady Catherine de Bourgh, but as adults their paths diverged dramatically. 

When a catastrophe at Rosings Park brings Becky back to visit her sister, the two clash about their aspirations for the marriage of Catherine's young daughter, and both women are forced to confront the ghosts of the past-in particular, Lady Catherine's cruelty and deception.

As the shocking truth emerges, the Darcy and Bingley families rally. But it may be too late for the sisters to find the love and happiness they were denied so long ago.
My Review:
The Pemberley Chronicles are notable for three reasons-historical detail (and amazing writing), great romances, and Fairy Godmother Darcy who makes good things happen all the time. This book no exception. This was my favorite of the whole series.

The romance was very different from the previous books. It was not a story of new love but of two people that have been separated by outside forces (Lady Catherine’s machinations, of course) and never given the chance to fall in love. It was like watching what Elizabeth and Darcy would have been if Darcy had let Lady Catherine influence him.

Catherine Harrison was one of those characters that I remembered from the previous books and was not looking forward to reading a book about her. She seemed to be so weak and lacking of any backbone. When I started the book, I was actually hoping that the book would be more about her daughter, Lillian, because I thought she might be more of an interesting character than her mother but I am glad that I was wrong. Catherine surprised me and came into her own in Recollections of Rosings and her relationship with Frank Burnett, former Rosings librarian and friend, was one of the major reasons this book was such a good read. He was one of the sweetest, kindest and most genuine male characters that I have ever come across.

This would be a great read for any Jane Austen fan. You do not necessarily have to read any of the previous books to enjoy this one (even though you should because they are excellent).
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review of this book, and was so happy you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks great! I love reading books set in the 1800's. I also love recipes from that era as well. I love to read and wish I had more time to do it! I look forward to following your blog and finding more time to sit and enjoy a book :) Visiting from SITSgirls :)

    Stephanie
    www.momreviewtb.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Grace; I do enjoy your reviews, because they are not just opinions- you always provide reasons for your judgements.

    I am familiar with this series and love the characters, plots and style very much. They are all so close to the Austen original, they rate as true sequels, unlike a lot of sub-standard stuff that we see in the bookshops today.
    I lok forward to your comments on A Woman of Influence.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio