Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cowboy Trouble by Joanne Kennedy

Cowboy Trouble
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402236689
Pages: 416 pgs
Genre: Romance/Western
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


Publisher’s Description:

A cowboy like that could break your heart...
Fleeing her latest love-life disaster, big city journalist Libby Brown's transition to rural living isn't going exactly as planned. Her childhood dream has always been to own a farm-but without the constant help of her charming, sexy cowboy neighbor, she'd never make it through her first Wyoming season.


But he could sure keep you warm at night, too...
Handsome rancher Luke Rawlins is impressed by this sassy, independent city girl. But he yearns to do more than help Libby out with her ranch. He's ready for love, and he wants to go the distance...


Then the two get embroiled in their tiny town's one and only crime story, and Libby discovers that their sizzling hot attraction is going to complicate her life in every way possible

My Review:

I have been on a historical fiction kick lately so it was nice to have a break from that. I love cowboy romances and this one did not disappoint.

First of all, I liked that this was romance/mystery mix. I love it when romances add a bit of another genre. It keeps things interesting and prevents the romance from delving into the melodramatic type of romance. I just wish that it was a bit more difficult to decipher who the killer was. I mean, I knew who it was the moment we first met the character and it gets quite frustrating watching Libby place the blame on everyone but the killer. I guess that is part of the charm of mysteries and I am just missing it.

The heroine, Libby, was just an “okay” point for me. I liked her when she was not investigating the murder. When she was just spending time with her puppies and Luke, she was quite the likeable character but the moment she began investigating, she began to grate on my nerves. She seemed to be at points willfully blind. Luke was the sensitive, squishy type of hero that I love. He was sweet but not a wimp. The ancillary characters are the treasures in this novel. Crazy Mike, David, Wild Thing and the puppies were all amazing. I almost wish that David, the gentle chef with a past, had a book of his own. I would buy that book in an instant.

I liked this book. It was not one of those that made me squee with joy but I will definitely pick up any further books that Joanne Kennedy writes. She is a really great writer that gets you into the story.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

2 comments:

  1. I've never read a cowboy romance before but I do love romance with a mixture of mystery. It's too bad that you found it a bit predictable though. I've checked out some of your other reviews too and I like what I see, so would love to pass on this award to you :)

    http://fingersinthepie.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio