Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Highest Stakes: He's racing to win back his country, his fortune and his one true love by Emery Lee

The Highest Stakes Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402236425
Pages: 560 pgs
Genre: Romance/Georgian
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 


 Publisher’s Description:
The breathtaking origins of thoroughbred horse racing 

A tale of drama, danger, thwarted love, and retribution set in the high stakes gentleman's world of 18th century horse racing, where fortunes could be won... and lost... 


She's lonely and neglected, but she knows horses... 


Charlotte Wallace is orphaned and alone until a sympathetic stable boy takes her under his wing and teaches her everything about thoroughbred racing. In the process, the two discover in each other a love destined to be thwarted at every turn... 


If only he could, he'd take her away with him forever... 



Robert Devington has tried everything to persuade Charlotte's uncle to allow them to marry. Then an ill-fated friendship, a scandal in the making, and one desperate act of folly rob them of their love and his livelihood... Dead set on retribution, all Robert's hopes are hanging on one small horse-his only chance to reclaim his land, his dignity, and his love, against all odds...


My Review:
One thing that very few people know about me is that I love horse racing. Horses are the most beautiful and noble creatures and seeing them run at their full power is almost like a spiritual experience for me. So I was very interested to read a novel about the horse racing world that combined some of my other favorite thing, mainly romance and historical fiction. I had really high expectations and I was not disappointed.

The characters were absolutely amazing. Charlotte was one of the few female characters that I liked throughout the book. I never once got annoyed with her. I felt so bad for her. Every time she got close to finally being with Robert, something happened to separate them. It was so sad yet so frustrating. I liked Robert. He was a bit to squeaky for me. But I could see why Charlotte loved him. I like my men with a but more tarnish to them. I guess that is why I preferred Phillip. He was swarthy, broody and badly behaved. That’s my type. I wanted him to end up with Charlotte but then I realized that Charlotte is most definitely much smarter than I would be.

I did find the book a bit frustrating. Not for anything bad but every time they even got close to getting married Charlotte’s uncle did something either cruel or manipulating and stopped it. Definitely kept me interested though. I also thought that the horse racing mixed well with the rest of the novel. It was firmly a part of the story without overwhelming it. It also added a unique and interesting aspect to the story.

I really loved this book. I thought it was interesting and I loved the ending. It was the perfect ending for this story. I can’t say more without giving everything away. I would suggest this book to anyone with even the slightest interest in horse racing and a love of romances with star-crossed lovers.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a fabulous review of my debut novel THE HIGHEST STAKES!

    I sensed a kindred spirit when I read it, as Romance, History, and Horses are among my greatest passions.

    About two years ago I somehow I got this crazy idea of converging the three, and fourteen months later I finished my first draft.

    I was thrilled that Sourcebooks wanted it, and I am now hard at work on a sequel featuring my favorite secondary characters - Philip and Sukey.
    (Their story demanded to be told!)

    Please look for FORTUNE'S SON later next year.

    In the meantime Enjoy the Ride- Emery Lee
    www.authoremerylee.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emery,

    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I am so happy you liked my review.

    I am so glad you are writing Phillip and Sukey's story. There story was one of my favorite parts. I hope they get a happy ending. I can't wait to read it.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio