Search Me!


Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Highlander’s Sword by Amanda Forester

The Highlander's SwordPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402229488
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Romance/Highlander
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
A quiet, flame-haired beauty with secrets of her own...
Lady Aila Graham is destined for the convent, until her brother's death leaves her an heiress. Soon she is caught between hastily arranged marriage with a Highland warrior, the Abbot's insistence that she take her vows, the Scottish Laird who kidnaps her, and the traitor from within who betrays them all.

She's nothing he expected and everything he really needs...
Padyn MacLaren, a battled-hardened knight, returns home to the Highlands after years of fighting the English in France. MacLaren bears the physical scars of battle, but it is the deeper wounds of betrayal that have rocked his faith. Arriving with only a band of war-weary knights, MacLaren finds his land pillaged and his clan scattered. Determined to restore his clan, he sees Aila's fortune as the answer to his problems...but maybe it's the woman herself.

My Review:
One of my favorite types of romances is Highlander romances. They tend to combine the best parts of historical fiction and romance.  I also really love books about arranged marriages. They almost always equal tension and conflict.

Aila was one of the most believable heroines that I have ever come across. She was strong, intelligent and capable. She gets into trouble but she does not sit back and wait for Padyn to rescue her. She rescues herself and I really appreciate that. Padyn was the broody, sarcastic, and grumpy type of hero that I absolutely love. A ray of sunshine, sweetness and gumdrops is not my version of a good hero in a romance novel. Just strikes me as boring. Padyn was perfect. He brooded but he was never too broody and never became emo or wimpy.

One of my favorite things about The Highlander’s Sword is that the romance never overwhelms the story. The romance is a part of the story, obviously, but it never becomes the story. Aila and Padyn do not even begin to form a romantic relationship until more than halfway through the book. It was more of a historical fiction/romance than a pure romance and I loved that. I only have one criticism with this book. It is not a big criticism of anything but I want more of this story and of this couple and the other characters in this book.

This was a really great read. I read it during one sleepless night and it definitely helped me pass the time quite quickly. Anyone who is looking for a good, not to graphic romance novel should really pick this up.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio