Search Me!

Loading...

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Musing Monday (March 7)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about dust jackets.
Do you prefer books with a dust jacket? What do you do with your dust jacket while reading? Leave it on or take it off? (Question courtesy of Kim from Page after Page)
I am rather crazy about dust jackets. Bordering on ridiculous actually. I never leave my dust jackets on while reading. It leads to the frumpy edges that really drive me batty. I take the jacket off while reading and place it on my bookshelf. That is not the crazy part. I put a book of a similar size in the jacket so it maintains its shape. There is nothing that irks me more than having to reshape a dust jacket. Creases always end up in the wrong places and it just becomes frustrating. It probably sounds quite loopy and I have been told quite often that this is not normal behavior but I can’t help myself. I think it is best that I stick to paperbacks and avoid the dust jacket issue altogether. 

11 comments:

  1. I prefer paperbacks too ever since I ended up ripping a dust jacket that I had taken off a book because it annoys me to be fussing with them while reading. I do prefer hardbacks from the library though since they're taped on and don't move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like book jackets, but reading the comments of others, I realize that I may not like than as much as some other people do...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL ya know, that's probably one reason I'm glad I am not a dust jacket fan--I've never thought of doing what you described lol, but I can see myself weirding out like that ;)

    ~~

    http://mywindowswideopen.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't matter one way or the other as far as I am concerned. Here's Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all of us have behaviors others would consider abnormal! Luckily, dust-jacket-wise, I am free and clear of weirdness. (Don't get me started on socks!)

    On a coincidental note, my Dad just reminded me of two tips concerning dust jackets, one obvious, the other quite handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love library hardbacks because they get that nice crinkly sound from that plastic when you open the book. Crazy as well but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace, I do ALL of the things that you described in your post. I can't stand a dinged-up dustjacket. I take it off when I read a book. I put it on the shelf with ANOTHER book inside it to retain it's shape. You have a partner in insanity.

    On a side note, I have been on a search for a just jacket for Stephen King's Under the Dome. I won a galley in a Twitter contest, which was great! But as it's a galley, there's no jacket. Any tips? I've tried contacting the publisher who sent it to me, but to no avail.

    Laura Hartness
    The Calico Critic
    CalicoCritic at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...I had the same problem with my edition of Harry Potter that I bought used. I printed out the cover art on a piece of paper large enough to encase the book, wrapped it in clear plastic wrap library-style and folded it around the book like a real cover. I did lose the information that is on the cover but what was really important was the art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace:

    Hmmm... interesting idea! I don't think that'll suffice for Under the Dome, but the galley I received this week of Brigid of Kildare would be a good candidate for that plan.

    Thanks for the tip, and for stopping by the blog!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer to read paperbacks, but I've noticed that they have gotten taller and narrower, which I don't like. My brother-in-law would lend me a book only if I promised not to break the spine. He didn't want his paperback to appear as if it had been read. I had to really, really want to read a book before I would borrow one from him. I do like dust covers, but only to look at. Hardcovers are too expensive.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio