Search Me!


Thursday, March 11, 2010

Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein

Raven Stole the Moon: A NovelPublisher: Harper Paperbacks
ISBN: 0061806382
Pages: 464 pgs
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

 Publisher’s Description:
When Jenna Rosen abandons her comfortable Seattle life to visit Wrangell, Alaska, it's a wrenching return to her past. The hometown of her Native American grandmother, Wrangell is located near the Thunder Bay Resort, where Jenna's young son, Bobby, disappeared two years before. His body was never recovered, and Jenna is determined to lay to rest the aching mystery of his death. But whispers of ancient legends begin to suggest a frightening new possibility about Bobby's fate, and Jenna must sift through the beliefs of her ancestors, the Tlingit, who still tell of powerful, menacing forces at work in the Alaskan wilderness. Armed with nothing but a mother's protective instincts, Jenna's quest for the truth behind her son's disappearance is about to pull her into a terrifying and life-changing abyss.

My Review:
I had no idea what to expect with Raven Stole the Moon. I was wavering between an intense family drama or a mythology infused fantasy. Turns out that it was a mixture of both and it could not have been better. I was not really expecting to like Raven Stole the Moon as much as I did but it was really interesting and quite the engrossing read.

I was really pleased to find that the characters were not one dimensional. They all went through a journey in this book and they were all well-rounded. The characters had layers without being too complex. Jenna was amazing. I couldn’t blame her for leaving Robert at all. He was completely unlikeable at the beginning of the book. He did not treat Jenna well at all. I did begin to see his reasoning as the book went on but in the beginning, he was just terrible. I began the book severely annoyed with both Robert and Jenna but finished with a respect for the journey and growth of both characters.

I was really pleased that the Tlingit folklore and culture played such a strong and important role in Raven Stole the Moon. Garth Stein weaves the folklore into the story seamlessly. This results in a rather interesting combination of family drama,, romance, and fantasy that really should not work so well but it does.The writing is also magnificent. Some of the more action packed and emotional scenes were just beautiful to read. I also usually have a bit of a dislike of the alternating point of view narrative style but I really liked it here. It gave us everyone’s perspective without any character becoming vapid or one dimensional. 

Raven Stole the Moon was an absolute joy to read. It was engrossing and interesting. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good family drama.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio