Search Me!


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Moonlight Road by Robyn Carr

Moonlight Road (Virgin River)Publisher: Mira
ISBN: 077832768X
Pages: 400 pgs
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
With her beloved younger siblings settled and happy, Erin Foley has empty nest syndrome. At age thirty-five. 

So she's hitting the pause button on her life and holing up in a secluded (but totally upgraded—she's not into roughing it) cabin near Virgin River. Erin is planning on getting to know herself…not the shaggy-haired mountain man she meets.

In fact, beneath his faded fatigues and bushy beard, Aiden Riordan is a doctor, recharging for a summer after leaving the navy. He's intrigued by the pretty, slightly snooty refugee from the rat race—her meditating and journaling are definitely keeping him at arm's length. He'd love to get closer…if his scruffy exterior and crazy ex-wife don't hold him back.

But maybe it's something in the water—unlikely romances seem to take root in Virgin River…helped along by some well-intentioned meddling, of course.

My Review:
I have been on this huge romance kick lately. Possibly because I am lacking in that department in my life or maybe because it is nice to read something sweet and smushy when you are feeling downtrodden. Moonlight Road just happens to be one of my favorite types. It is a well thought out story that takes place in a small town with well developed primary and secondary story-lines.

I loved Moonlight Road because everything about it was so believable from the characters to the setting. Everything about this book was authentic. Erin was a really great character. I could really identify with her almost obsessive focus on her family and her career. She had a strong voice throughout and never became grating or annoying as some characters tend to become. Aidan was something special. I loved that we met him when he was in a “caveman” state. Not exactly the dashing hero you would expect. He is also almost flawless in his nobility. I usually don’t gravitate towards romances where the heroes are overly kind or anything of the sort, as I am a bit of a fangirl of the rakes and scoundrels, but this one worked for me.  He was never too nice and was quite funny and sarcastic at times.

I did at times have some small gripes with this book. First of all, it took way too long for Erin and Aiden to have any sort of interaction. It did, however, serve to develop the plot and really added depth to the environment and secondary storylines. I think if it had jumped straight to the romance that depth would have been lost. I think the ending was also not as cut and dry with all loose ends tied up as I would like. But since it is a series, these story lines might be carried forth in the next book.

I really enjoyed this book. I sat with my Sony Reader in dim light for hours to finish it and anyone with a Sony Reader knows how painful that is. I can’t wait to pick up the rest of the series.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I love this series! I have to read them in order so when I found the 4th book just over a year ago I had to buy the first three :) Robyn Carr is a gifted story-teller. It's a fabulous series.

  2. I'm currently buying the series as an early birthday present for myself :) Reading a series out of order is not something that I can make myself do without playing eventual catch up. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio