Search Me!


Monday, May 24, 2010

Life After Yes by Aidan Donnelley Rowley

Life After Yes: A NovelPublisher: Avon
ISBN: 0061894478
Pages: 368 pgs
Genre: Chick Lit
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
This is the story of Quinn—born Prudence Quinn O'Malley—a confused young Manhattan attorney who loses her father on that tragic September morning that changed everything. Now, at an existential crossroads in her life, Quinn must confront impossible questions about commitment and career, love and loss. Her idealistic beau desperately wants a wedding, and whisks her away to Paris just to propose. But then Quinn has a dream featuring judges and handcuffs and Nietzsche and Britney . . . and far too many grooms. Suddenly, her future isn't so clear. Quinn's world has become a minefield of men—some living, some gone, and traversing it safely is going to take a lot more than numerous glasses of pinot grigio.

Life After Yes is a blisteringly honest, thoroughly modern tale of life and love in chaos, marking the arrival of a truly exciting new voice in contemporary fiction.

My Review:
I must first begin by saying that I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did. I know I say that all the time. I think it’s a defense mechanism. If I expect to love a book and it sucks, I feel like I have lost something. If I love a book that I expect to hate I feel like I have gained something intangible.

The characters in Life After Yes were some of the most interesting characters were some of the most interesting that I have come across in my recent reading.  All of them were faulty having messed up in their relationships in one way or another but they were are still quite likeable. Quinn was a lawyer, engaged and seemingly happy yet she is also an alcoholic, who pines after her ex and eventually cheats on her fiancé with said ex.   Sage, Quinn’s seemingly normal fiancé, is a mama’s boy who kisses Quinn’s friend while Quinn is comforting her newly widowed mother. The best part of this book was watching these flawed characters come to grips with their faults and learn that they can love and be loved in spite of them.

I tend to avoid books about 9/11. It is still hard to read about. I think it always will be. As a New Yorker, I don’t need a reminder. However, I really loved how it was incorporated into Life After Yes. It was always a spectre in the background of Quinn’s thought and actions. It affects her relationships and emotions. Not only because she lost her father in the attacks but because it was a trauma for her as well. It was very well done.
I really enjoyed Life After Yes if for nothing more than the characterizations were awesome. I recommend this to anyone looking for a book with really strong characterizations.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I love this sentence that you wrote: The best part of this book was watching these flawed characters come to grips with their faults and learn that they can love and be loved in spite of them. I think this is a universal lesson that we all have to learn more than once. :)

    Thanks for being on this tour!

  2. Why thank you. I am so glad that you liked my sentence. It is very rare that you get a good one that doesn't sound jumbly like you've just had three Red Bulls in a row.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio