Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, May 21, 2010

The Man Who Loved Pride and Prejudice by Abigail Reynolds

The Man Who Loved Pride and Prejudice: A modern love story with a Jane Austen twistPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402237324
Pages: 448 pgs
Genre: Romance/Jane Austen Sequel/ Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating:   






Publisher’s Description:
A modern love story with a Jane Austen twist.. .

Marine biologist Cassie Boulton has no patience when a modern-day Mr. Darcy appears in her lab on Cape Cod. Proud, aloof Calder Westing III is the scion of a famous political family, while Cassie's success is hard-won in spite of a shameful family history.

When their budding romance is brutally thwarted, both by his family and by hers, Calder tries to set things right by rewriting the two of them in the roles of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice...but will Cassie be willing to supply the happy ending?

My Review:
I love Abigail Reynolds books. I have read many Jane Austen sequels and interpretations in my day but there is something special about Abigail Reynold’s books that I have found in few others. She is such an amazing writer and storyteller that any book by her is hard to resist.

I often find that a modern Lizzy and Darcy are hard to pull off. They often tend to resemble regency characters that have somehow transported themselves to modern times. Calder and Cassie are the perfect modern representations of Lizzy and Darcy. It is difficult for me to assess Calder as Darcy. Darcy was very much a man of his time and it is difficult for a man like him to be in any form of modern situation convincingly. However, Abigail Reynolds captured the essence of Darcy in Calder perfectly. It is much easier to assess a modern Lizzy because Lizzy was very much a modern woman (or at least I think so).  Cassie was Lizzy. Intelligent, independent with a good head on her shoulders.

In every Pride and Prejudice adaptation there must be a moment where Darcy reveals his true intentions to Elizabeth. In modern adaptations, it takes many forms from an email to a text message. It is often my favorite part of any Jane Austen adaptation and it is totally true in this one. In this one the method is quite a bit more interesting. Calder writes a novel called Pride & Presumption and sends a pre-pub copy to Cassie. Through the novel Cassie gets Calder’s perspective and falls in love with him.

Everyone who buys this must beware that this is a reissue of a book called Pemberley By the Sea. I don’t know how much has been edited or added because, although I have the older version, I have never read it.  I highly recommend this one and any Jane Austen sequel that Abigail Reynolds writes.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
mysig

3 comments:

  1. Would love to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. Most modern men tend to laugh off the ladies lurve for Darcy

    Btw, I like the look of your blog, I switched to this template too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why. Darcy is an icon that most men are incapable of living up to. Those boneheads are just jealous.

    This theme looks awesome on your blog. I wanted to find a pretty background like yours but none would work with Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio