Search Me!


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Rumor Has It by Jill Mansell

Rumor Has It: In a town this small, a secret is hard to keepPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402237502
Pages: 416 pgs
Genre: Chick Lit
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
Would you be tempted?

Newly single, Tilly Cole impulsively accepts a job offer in a small town as a "Girl Friday." Fun job, country house, fresh start, why not? But soon she finds herself in a hotbed of gossip, intrigue, and rampant rivalry for the town's most desirable bachelor-Jack Lucas.

Rumors of Jack's "love 'em and leave 'em" escapes abound, and Tilly decides to do the mature, sensible thing... avoid Jack at all cost. But the more time Tilly spends with Jack, the more the rumors just don't make sense. Tilly doesn't know what to believe... and Jack's not telling.

My Review:
I have heard so many amazing things about Jill Mansell’s novels from my bookish friends that I just could not resist giving her books a try. I was told to expect humor, embarrassing moments and interesting characters. I was not disappointed. 

For one, Mansell’s humor and style remind me of the Bridget Jones books. Just like with Bridget, I loved the female character and was constantly cringing from the multitude of embarrassing moments. Literally…I cringed. I had to hide my face in my hands, put down the book, and walk away for a bit. It did not necessarily take away from my enjoyment but just be warned, you will be cringing and/or laughing.

The characters in Rumor Has It were a complete and unfettered joy. Tilly was so funny. She was not nearly as ridiculous as you would expect. It was so easy to identify with her and to feel a sort of kinship with her when she did something embarrassing or silly. I am known for being an epic klutz and for saying the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time. It’s a talent of mine.  Jack, Tilly’s lady’s man of a leading man,  was a bit surprising for me. Too tell you the truth, I expected the typical playboy attitude from him but he had so much depth to him. Although, I can understand why Tilly was so cautious when forming a relationship with him. Max and Louise were funny and witty and I can see why so many women have crushes on Max because I developed one as well. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I went out to Barnes and Noble and skipped over buying more YA and bought two more of Jill Mansell’s books. If you like Bridget Jones or have any affinity for British humor, pick this one up. You will not regret it.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. Love your review, Grace. I'll be buying this soon (I hope)!

  2. Grace! Hi, and thanks so much for a perfect review - you've just made my night! I'm so happy you enjoyed the book (and that you loved Max - he's a big favourite of mine!)
    Thank you again, you're a complete star!
    Jill xx

  3. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it :)

  4. You're very welcome. I am so happy you liked my review. I can't wait to read the rest of your books. I will probably love them as much as I loved Rumor Has It :)




Blog Template by In Between Design Studio