Search Me!


Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

The Summer of Skinny DippingPublisher: Sourcebooks Fire
ISBN: 1402238622
Pages: 304 pgs
Genre: YA
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge, YA Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:
Sometimes I still wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the very beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.

My name is Mia Gordon: I was sixteen years old, and I remember everything.

My Review:
I finally broke my romance reading marathon by picking up a YA. I have been wanting to but once I get on a role, I can’t stop myself. The Summer of Skinny Dipping was the perfect choice. It was a great mix of romance, drama and tragedy that kept me interested the whole time. There was no “Oh when is this going to end” moment with this book and that is an accomplishment in itself.

I was a little wary when I started reading that this would be one of those uber shiny YA novels about rich people and their rich people problems. I really hate reading about rich people. I watch Gossip Girl and that’s about rich people but the idea of reading about rich people makes me want to pull my hair out. I was glad that this book had substance. Mia was a normal girl, living a normal life, experiencing her first love and first tragedy.

I was also really impressed by the depth and intelligence of the two main characters. Mia is pretty much the typical teenager. She has relationship issues, parental conflicts and trouble fitting in. But I was proud that she never sacrificed herself to fit in. She had a good head on her shoulders. Simon was interesting to say the least. I wanted to figure him out almost as much as Mia did. I was glad that Mia found someone on the outside like her and with many of the same issues. It was great to see them find each other. All of the other characters, I could really have done without because Simon and Mia made this book.

The Summer of Skinny Dipping was just plain awesome. The ending will have you either crying or pulling your hair out but you will enjoy getting there.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

1 comment:

  1. This book was amazing. I had found it on a random trip to Barnes and Nobles. Ever since reading it I've felt like I had my own summer adventure, and for a 14 year old girl, that's not easy to do. Thank you soo much for the amazing book. (:



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio