Search Me!


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Bad Day For Pretty by Sophie Littlefield

A Bad Day for Pretty: A Crime Novel Publisher: Minotaur Books
ISBN: 0312559755
Pages: 304 pgs
Genre: Mystery
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

Publisher’s Description:

Stella Hardesty, avenger of wronged women, is getting cozy with Sheriff "Goat" Jones when a tornado blows none other than Goat’s scheming ex-wife, Brandy, through the front door. Adding to the chaos, the tornado destroys the snack shack at the demolition derby track, pulling up the concrete foundation and unearthing a woman's body. The main suspect in the woman’s murder is Neb Donovan---he laid the foundation, and there's some pretty hard evidence pointing to his guilt. Years ago, Neb's wife asked Stella for help getting him sober. Stella doesn't believe the gentle man could kill anyone, and she promises his frantic wife she'll look into it.

Former client Chrissy Shaw is now employed at Stella's sewing shop and she helps with the snooping as Stella negotiates the unpredictable Brandy and the dangerously magnetic sheriff.

My Review:

I think everyone comes to a point in their reading career where they want nothing more than a good mystery. This past week, I wanted to read a book that had nothing to do with Jane Austen, romance or YA. A Bad Day For Pretty was the perfect break for me.

A Bad Day For Pretty was a nice summer read. Something that I could take on my porch to enjoy. It had a very light feel to it despite the sort of dark subject matter of domestic violence and murder. This lightness is solely because of Stella. She is a funny and interesting heroine. As she unraveled the mystery, she injected humor into the story.  The other characters felt quite flat to me. I never really could get a handle on any of them. Especially Goat. First of all, his name is Goat…does that really happen in real life and if it does, can I meet this man named Goat? Other than that, I felt I missed some of the development of his character. This is probably because I missed the first book in the series and am jumping in at the middle.

I did eventually get into the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will have to go back and pick up the first book (A Bad Day for Sorry )

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. [...] A Bad Day For Pretty-Sophie Littlefield [...]

  2. Great review. I was curious about this one when you mentioned it last week. I agree - sometimes I just crave a good mystery.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio