Search Me!


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Truth About Delilah Blue by Tish Cohen

The Truth About Delilah Blue: A Novel (P.S.)
Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 006187597X
Pages: 448 pages
Genre: Women’s Fiction
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Find The Truth About Delilah Blue at Amazon, Powell's or Indiebound

Publisher’s Description:

Delilah Blue Lovett has always been a bit of an outsider, ever since her father moved her from Toronto to L.A. when she was eight, claiming Delilah's mother no longer wanted to be part of their family. Twenty now and broke, but determined to be an artist like her errant mom, Delilah attends art class for free—by modeling nude at the front of the room, a decision that lifts the veil from her once insular world. While she struggles to find her talent, her father, her only real companion, is beginning to exhibit telltale signs of early-onset Alzheimer's. And her mother, who Delilah always assumed had selfishly abandoned them, is about to reappear with a young daughter in tow . . . and a secret that will change everything. Delilah no longer knows which parent to trust—the only one she can really rely on is the most broken person of all: herself.

In a new novel as witty, sparkling, and poignant as her acclaimed Inside Out Girl, author Tish Cohen uncovers the humor and heart within the most dysfunctional of families.

My Review:

I read The Truth About Delilah Blue in the three hour period from 3-6am when I could not sleep because there had been a spider (black, big and very, very scary—now deceased) in my bedroom and I was too scared to sleep for fear that his compatriots in creepdom would crawl out of cracks in my wall to avenge the sad end of their fellow arachnid. Needless to say, it needed to be an awesome book to distract me and it was. I was distracted, engrossed and I could have cared less if a spider the size of my arm asked me if I wanted to join him for tea and scones. Although that would have been very gentlemanly of the spider.

From the very first page, I fell in love with Lila. She is, to put it quite simply, awesome. She is smart, she is funny, she is engaging, she is everything you want in a heroine. She deals with her father’s mental deterioration from Alzheimer's and the return of her absentee mother along with the revelations about her past that her mother’s return brings with grace and dignity. I must admit that my favorite part was the  semi-sorta romance with Adam, the TA of the art class that she is posing for (what can I say…I’m a romantic). Their flirtation is awkward and tentative but both characters had such great chemistry.  I also enjoyed how Cohen switched between Lila’s and Victor’s point of views. I find that most writers cannot pull this off. The character often become one dimensional and their development is stunted by the constant shifting. But in this one, the shifting only aided in getting insight into both Lila and Victor’s characters.

Needless to say, I highly recommend The Truth About Delilah Blue. The prose is beautiful, the characters are engaging, and Tish Cohen is one heck of an amazing writer.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.


  1. I'm starting to see this book everywhere now after I saw it at a bookstore. It's getting rave reviews. I've added it to my wish list. Thanks for the review.

  2. I love it when that happens to me. Sometimes books just haunt you until you decide to read them. I hope you enjoy it.

  3. Ok, if a book can successfully distract you from the minions of spiders which may or may not be invading your room in the middle of the night, I'd say you found a winner! LOL

    Thanks for being a part of the tour - I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much. :)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio