Search Me!


Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review: The Fire Lord’s Lover by Kathryne Kennedy

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402236522
Pages: 384 pgs
Genre: Historical/Fantasy/Romance
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge


    If his powers are discovered, his father will destroy him...

    In a magical land ruled by ruthless Elven lords, the Fire Lord's son Dominic Raikes plays a deadly game to conceal his growing might from his malevolent father-until his arranged bride awakens in him passions he thought he had buried forever...

    Unless his fiancée kills him first...

    Lady Cassandra has been raised in outward purity and innocence, while secretly being trained as an assassin. Her mission is to bring down the Elven Lord and his champion son. But when she gets to court she discovers that nothing is what it seems, least of all the man she married...

    Then Dominic and Cassandra together uncover an unspeakable evil, one that threatens the destruction of the magical realm they would give their souls to save...

    My Review:

    So, I am back with the romances after a slight sojourn into fiction and YA. I have reviewed Kathryne Kennedy’s My Unfair Lady before and I was looking forward to reading something new of hers. I was a bit unsure because of the whole elves thing. I am familiar with almost every other form of paranormal romance but elves…not so much. Vampires, werewolves, fairies, shapeshifters are all well and good with me but I had to adjust to the elves. Usually when I think of elves it’s either the cookie making variety,  the Santa Claus seasonal ones or the semi-sexy but kinda overly pretty  Tolkien elves. I was very happy that the elves in Kathryne Kennedy’s world were more like the Tolkien elves although a bit tougher, more surly and less pretty (although still pretty).

    The characters in The Fire Lord’s Lover were pretty awesome. Dominic, in spite of his prettiness, was quite gruff and stoic. I loved that he was not the typical “sweep off of feet” type of hero, he was more of the  “annoy till heroine wants to strangle” type. Cassandra was the real highlight of the book. She was active, witty and strong. She was believable and sympathetic. I mean, you had to sympathize with her. Her elven putz of a husband dances with his mistress at their wedding and constantly flaunts the hag in front of her. I also liked that she was never a weak or simpering damsel but an assassin with the task of killing Dominic's power-hungry, insane and sadistic father.

    Usually, for me, the fantasy element plays second fiddle to the romance. That is not to say that I am not a fan of fantasy but I definitely gravitate more towards the romance. However, with The Fire Lord’s Lover, I enjoyed both the romance and fantasy elements equally. Kennedy created a fantasy world and a mythology that kept me completely engrossed throughout. The only fantasy world that I got even half as interested in is J.K. Rowling’s. I only have a very minor sort of criticism about this book and it is very minor. There is a huge plot development towards the end that felt like it was almost part of a different book. Perhaps it serves as a segue into the next book in the series. I did find it to be a very interesting plot development and I can’t wait to see what happens in the rest of the series.

    I am really looking forward to the rest of the series because it looks like it is going to be an amazing ride. I will be trolling the next book like a rabid fangirl.

    *A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment


    Blog Template by In Between Design Studio