Search Me!


Tuesday, July 27, 2010

To Conquer a Highlander by Mary Wine

To Conquer a Highlander

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402237375
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: Romance-Historical, Highlander
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge

    Summary (from Publisher):

    A fierce Highland laird ready to kill for king and country...

    When Torin McLeren discovers his neighbor's plot against his king, he takes their daughter as his prisoner, thereby stopping her father's plot from going forward. But that leaves him with a woman under his roof whom he can't ignore, and not just because she's his enemy's daughter...

    A woman who's as much trouble as she is temptation...

    Shannon McBoyd decides to use her captor to experience passion for the first time, and then to destroy him. But her plan goes awry because once she has lured Torin into her bed, she no longer wants to hurt the one man who seems to value and understand her...

    Even if her father will kill him-and her-when he discovers what they've done...

    My Review:

    Kidnapping is one of my favorite romance plots. Stockholm Syndrome is not a good thing in real life but in a romance novel, it is ideal. There is almost always great tension between the characters and lots of action and drama. That was no different with this one. There was plenty of drama, action and romance to be had in To Conquer a Highlander.

    Torin was one of the most interesting Highlander characters I have ever come across. He was such a nice guy. He was funny with a bit of a scampy sense of humor. I am used to more warrior-like Highlander characters. He was definitely different. He was still tough but had that sweet and funny side to him that I really liked. Shannon, on the other hand, got on my nerves a bit. I always have trouble liking characters that remind me of myself---stubborn, bull-headed and with a bit of a temper. I did like her because  and the moments where she annoyed me were outweighed by the moments where I really liked her.  I also really loved the tension and banter between Shannon and Torin.

    The descriptiveness was one of the best parts of To Love a Highlander. Everything is so detailed and researched. My favorite was the detailed description of the dungeon. It was so gruesome and realistic (not that I would know). The battle scenes were also amazing. It is a very rare romance novel that can pull off a good battle scene and Mary Wine did in To Conquer a Highlander.

    If you like Highlander romances, I highly recommend that you pick this one up if for nothing else but the amazing descriptions (and Torin is kinda pretty too).

    *A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

    1 comment:


    Blog Template by In Between Design Studio