Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, July 26, 2010

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11)

Publisher: Dutton Adult
ISBN: 0525951784
Pages: 320 pgs
Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Challenges-Read’n’Review Challenge, 100+ Reading Challenge
Rating: 





    Summary (from Publisher):

    At twenty-one, Savannah Levine-orphaned daughter of a notorious dark witch and an equally notorious cutthroat sorcerer-considers herself a full-fledged member of the otherworld. The once rebellious teen has grown into a six-foot-tall, motorcycle-riding jaw-dropper, with an impressive knowledge of and ability to perform spells. The only problem is, she's having a hard time convincing her adoptive parents, Paige and Lucas, to take her seriously as an adult. She's working as the research assistant at the detective agency they founded, and when they take off on a romantic vacation alone, leaving her in charge, Savannah finds herself itching for a case to call her own. (She's also itching for Adam, her longtime friend and colleague, to see her as more than just a little girl, but that's another matter.)

    Suddenly, Savannah gets the chance she's been waiting for: Recruited by another supernatural detective, she travels to Columbus, Washington, a small, dying town. Two troubled young women have been found in an abandoned warehouse, murdered. Now a third woman's dead, and on closer inspection small details point to darker forces at play. Savannah feels certain she can handle the case, but with signs of supernatural activity appearing at every turn, things quickly become more serious- and far more dangerous-than she realizes.

    My Review:

    I was a bit wary of this one. It is a part of a huge series and I was worried that I could not catch up. Usually, I am okay with jumping in at the third or fourth book but the eleventh made me quite nervous. It still does in reviewing this book because I am not quite sure if I am going to get everything right.

    I must first start out by saying that from the moment I started, I was sucked into the story. The mystery was so engrossing that I could overlook the moments of “Huh?” that comes with reading the eleventh book in a series without reading the previous ten. I thought that the mystery was very well-developed and interesting. I enjoyed watching Savannah solve the case. Even though, who the bad guy was in relation to the rest of the series is still rather hazy.

    I probably would not have liked this book if Savannah had been less awesome (for lack of a better word). She was independent and intelligent. I liked traits in her that I would have found obnoxious in any other female character. She was headstrong and bull-headed…usually huge minuses in my book…but, overall, she was very likeable. I was hoping, in the beginning, for a romance with Jesse but it turns out there really wasn’t any romance at all in Waking the Witch (although there is hope for Adam and Savannah). I found the lack of romance refreshing because I have been inundated with romances lately and it is nice to have a break.

    I really loved Waking the Witch. I am wondering why I have never heard of this series before because it seems like I should have. I am going to order all of the other books from Amazon because I loved this book and want to reread without the confusion.

    *A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review. My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.
    mysig

    3 comments:

    1. Over all I enjoyed the book, but it seemed much shorter than the others to me. The over all plot was okay, not Mrs. Armstrong's best, but still engaging. Half way through I could tell who I thought the bad guy was, even so there was a neat twist to the ending of it. I hate cliffies, so I wasn't to thrilled with the ending - I kept hitting my 'next page' button trying to get to the next page thinking 'Surely it doesn't end like this!' only to find out that yes, indeed it did!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Cliffies kill me too. I don't like 'em and I actively avoid them. I still haven't gone back and read the rest of this series and the book that came after. I probably should get to it.

        Delete

     

    Blog Template by In Between Design Studio